Friday, February 3, 2017

Mom, Black Velvet Ribbon Hunt, Burda 6932

Alterations and my mom

My mom was flat, teeny, without noticable body fat.

This was never a good thing.

Sitting was a challenge.

V-necks? Forget it.

No hips? Pants fall down.

She did get the mom tum, though. Weird!

Because she did stay the same size for decades, whatever she bought or sewed, she kept.

And when she got cancer, those clothes needed to be comfortable and finished properly. No tags, no clunky seams, no raw edges, no pointy bits.

It's kind of quality sewing meets careful finishing.

It's my mother's birthday; she would be 91 if she'd made it past 54.

I don't have many photos of her

There she is in the back. Nice housecoat.
Miss you mom. I promise I'll go find the photos now.

On the other side of sewing, I got my ten yards of black "velvet" (more like plushy) 2" ribbon from some Amazon sub-supplier in Nevada. Deadstock from Hendler's Ribbons. I'm making belts for the choir dresses, so just has to have some heft and flex (unlike florists ribbon, which won't last. We've tried.)

I spend the better part of an hour checking and yes, Hendler's is closed, but their website and all other things just imply they are hibernating. Any attempt on Yelp to mark them shut has been deferred,  so go figure. Anyone who knows more about their situation, let me know.

Mood was out, but not marked as out of stock.

So what I want to know is: was there some cosplay or character that involves 2" black velvet ribbon? I could be selling it out of the back of my car if I had some. 1 1/2", or any other color, there's lots (in the narrower range, you can get the good stuff (the soft velvety stuff)).

The plastic reel was broken so I had to make my own
Ah, IKEA furniture parts to the rescue...
More dresses to hem, one to resize, and one to ....graft from.
Nothing wasted around here.

Also mostly making a jacket for my son
I'm cutting a new seam in the front for a pocket, so I'm slicing and adding seam allowances and making new pockets with the yellow flimsy tracing paper






Yup yup yup. Apparently I haven't taken any pictures of the actual sewing. It's going well. No surprises for once.
Except the original pocket
The central seam is to the left. The pocket is slanted away from the direction the hand is coming from (the right).
Unless these were designed to be reached into opposition-aly. 



Some people do go both ways

2 comments:

  1. Weird pockets! Also, I'm so sorry you lost your mom so early. My husband's mother had cancer at about the same age but appears to have made a full recovery.

    Fabricland up here sells a very nice velvet ribbon in several widths and five or six basic colours. I should say, stocks, no one at my store ever seems to buy it. 😂 Maybe not 2" wide though.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like there was a velvet ribbon bomb that wiped out just one kind. I think 1 1/2 is just fine, but I'm not the boss here.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.