Sunday, February 28, 2021

Storing Woolies, Not Just In the Freezer. What's Eating My Clothes?

Those wool pants from the other week got spot cleaned, and have done their duty. They go in the curtain lining zip bags I made for my woolies




Yes, these are curtain sheer liners, thrifted from the Valuable Village, french seamed so they won't unravel or snag, and closed with chunks of Make A Zipper.

These bags keep stuff dust free and not mildewed. 

I have lost a lot of wool items due to insects feeding on them.

Carpet beetle eating carpet moves forward and eats in a line.

Mostly beetles eat my clothes. 

At one point, I remember seeing a chart of how to identify which insect was doing the damage, based on what the hole looked like (dots or tunnel shapes)

This search for a wool eating pattern is not to be confused with

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-wool-eater-blanket

Silverfish holes: they have tiny mouths, so tiny holes

In the end, it probably does not matter which one is eating my clothes. The important points are the same: keep your clothes clean (spot clean stuff right away so it doesn't set and make protein stains), keep them off the floor. Store them carefully (the drawer in the kitchen by the back door is going to be the death of any woolen item by beetle)(the bottom drawer that never gets looked into will be a happy home for generations of moths). Insects like to eat preseasoned foods in quiet spaces, so keep stuff clean and rotated. Or store them in bags or tubs that seal well (and only put clean things in those tubs. ASK ME HOW THAT WORKS)

https://www.thespruce.com/insects-that-eat-holes-in-clothes-2146424

https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/pest-insects/identifying-and-controlling-clothes-moths-carpet-beetles-and-silver%EF%AC%81sh

photo from https://insectslimited.files.wordpress.com/2019/09/damage-article-1.jpg?

Moths leave stuff around. Silverfish and beetles do not.

I cannot recommend this website enough:

https://insectslimited.wordpress.com/2019/10/11/identifying-clothes-moth-damage-and-frass-part-2/

Eat a red sweater, poop red frass. Of course they do!

There are lots of ways things end up with holes in them. One of them might just be you.

https://startsat60.com/media/lifestyle/what-causes-the-tiny-holes-in-tshirts-near-your-waist


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I should have taken photos of the great "everything wooly in this drawer has been eaten" shriekfest, because it was a slaughter of hours of knitting, but I was too emotional to think of documenting the disaster.

      Delete
  2. Moths are evil (yes, I know they pollinate things and serve a purpose, but they are unwelcome in my home). I recently found out that crickets eat wool, and those pesky insects like to find a way in my house every once in a while. I never minded so much until I found out they could destroy my fabric stash. Now they are persona non grata along with the moths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crickets? Oh good golly. When will this end?

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.