Sunday, February 19, 2023

Big tops continued: I do love a big collar

Buy the sweatshirt, take the ride.
$18.99 at Target, I loved the fabric and was tired of not finding sweatshirt fabric in the right weight, and am not close enough to a Value Village to go shop to alter/dye.


cut off lower band, trimmed up 1.5 " for heavy straight hem.

I thought ahead and made a pattern of the armsceye that the sleeve fit into
and i remembered to shorten it a little as I would lose a little in sewing a new seam (the seam would be shorter

trimmed off the excess, also opened up the side seam for easier sleeve insertion
put in the sleeve


just fits. didn't like the original collar.
Courtesy of my sister in law at Sears, I have a second maniquin/dress form. Several sizes smaller than me, but that's useful for other things so leaving it alone. 
The shirt on the right needs a new collar, and it is HUGE, so it's partly here to look at and think about, and also for scale.


draped a new spiral collar with the ribbing band from the bottom. I like this version better than the finished result, but I have this process figured out and can do this with another shirt if I want to.

Pinned it out on the form





Letting it roll up, leaving the edge partly undone.
Sleeves are still too long, but that's going to be a different post.

Different shirt but same idea: big collar with a raw edge.
And the same look of 'hmm' and incredulity that I strive for with each project. 

this clearly will continue


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.