Sunday, June 17, 2018

The return of the big pants (Hammer Time)

Spring and Summer call to mind blousy pants. Cool enough, warm enough. 
And nothing says big pants like Hammer Pants.
The cropped jacket is intriguing to me.  That black and red version is snappy.
Yes, this pattern eludes me still. The bonus is the official iron on transfer with signature and logo. I'm just not into it enough to drop more than $20.

Fun facts about Winterland Productions

http://theinkkitchen.com/2016/06/the-legend-of-winterland-productions/
Links you to a cool short promo on what a fun thing it is to be underpaid to make advertising t shirts.
Ventilation not included.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1988/04/29/MCA-buys-Winterland-Productions/2759578289600/

(from the latter UPI link): "Bill Graham founded the company in the early 1970s to sell such merchandise as t-shirts and programs at rock concerts. The company also markets the images of artists on various products.

Winterland, for example, provided all the merchandise for such recent events as Live Aid, Hands Across America, and concerts by Bruce Springsteen, U2, 
Madonna and  Fleetwood Mac".

And MC Hammer.

This one had escaped my attention before. The lower right is aMAZing
You know the name Winterland from the San Francisco concert hall bearing that name. The concert portions of The Last Waltz were filmed there.

It's not the same thing, but it's the same thing; same vintage time frame, same styling. 
At the price point I can find at Value Village, that is.

And it is a 90 minute pattern. Once piece, cut four times.

This is the least I have altered a pants pattern. I figured I should see what I got straight out of the box.


Side seam pockets, btw.


Not to be confused with Thai fisherman pants.
This is quite the DIY rabbit hole. You can buy a pattern for them, though many other people have left a lot of drawings on the internet for you to look for.

This image is from 2014, Peter Lappin's Male Pattern Boldness blog, http://malepatternboldness.blogspot.com/2014/02/thai-fisherman-pants-shirt-update.html
 He has done all the heavy lifting you will ever need on this.
Obligatory photo of Ren and Stimpy pants

But none of us have made a pair in gold lame.
Not yet, anyway.....


9 comments:

  1. I really like the new blue pair. I have the Issey Miyake pattern and want to make it in challis someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that the 1328? It would be pretty swell in challis. There is something pretty wonderful about that much fabric around the lower half. I've sewn 6 yard skirts for folk dancing (as well as the Decades of Style 'Chore skirt'), and as long as you have a good waistband and fabric with some 'give' to it, it's fun to wear. Much swoosh.

      Delete
  2. They look fun- one step too far for me [so far lol] The missus loves her Thai trousers, I copied the 'pattern' from a pair someone gave her, and have made about 3 pairs so far. She reckons they're the bee's knees for summer wear. Folkwear do a pattern with several variants of 'sarouelles' if I remember rightly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT's the pattern I was thinking of (smacks forehead). I got stuck on the tern 'thai fisherman's pants' and couldn't be bothered to go check my pattern stash. I used to make the sarouelles in the 80s for my summer pant requirements. And the envelope resides in the hoard of patterns somewhere in the basement. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. ooo, I have some gold lame in stash...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no better use, frankly. Workout wear?

      Delete
    2. I have a couple pairs of the Sandra Betzina Vogue 1355 pants - not a dropped crotch version at all, but very cool and comfortable in hot weather! They DO take tons of fabric.

      ceci

      Delete
  4. Somewhere I have the Hammer pattern with the signature transfer. I will dig and if found it is yours. Sincerely, @pdxsquared
    P.S. Loved your amazon opinion piece. Rant on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgot to say I think these pants look fantastic on you. Great fabric choice and fit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.