Sunday, November 11, 2018

Jumpsuit Mania: Very photo heavy

If 2018 is known for one thing, I think it's jumpsuits
Cause everyone did one
Or two.


To be fair, this is a reissue of the Simplicity men's. It's been out of print and EXPENSIVE, so I'm grateful. It's a genuinely good and useful pattern.

But there's more.
Possibly too much more.

Friday Patterns

Burda has a lot of jumpsuits and overalls, but this one is different.

True Bias's Yari

Named Patterns has both Amy


and Ronja.
I bought Ronja

Sew House Seven's Burnside 


And Heather at Closet Case now has three

Sallie was from a couple years ago, but two new this year:
The Amy
and the Jenny

Before that, she sewed


Tilly has the Mila

I've sewn this one for the son. It's ...well, kwik and looks like the photo.

http://www.unsungsewingpatterns.net/2018/06/mccall-3298-mens-overalls.html
https://blog.pattern-vault.com/2014/07/25/vintage-jumpsuit-patterns/

I cannot find the Calvin Klein overall pattern photos. I will put that in here when I do. They are super cute and heavy on making them look like a pair of JC Penney's overalls

I know I have missed many of them, but my head is spinning.

I would like to ask you, if you've made a jumpsuit, what were your issues with it in the restroom.
I'm tired of enjoying my clothes until I have to enter a toilet stall or bathroom, and worry about dumping straps in the bowl and the contents of my pockets everywhere.
Comments below.
Waaaaay below.
Because too many photos here:

JUMPSUIT MANIA
Strap in, kids.
And of course, click on them to make them bigger.
Or not.


  Decades has a few (not including rompers)
The Beach pajamas




and the Sweetheart




McQueen for Givenchy

Galliano for Givenchy the season before

I own this one



This pattern is pretty unique. The collar and the raglan sleeves are handsome. 
I just bought one.

It would not be a post about vintage patterns without a Daisy Kingdom name drop.
Or Pauloa. I am collecting them apparently.

Nancy Zieman did two





Jiffy has many many jumpsuits

This should have been the Mamma Mia costume

  
Okay, it's a romper.


This is 1971 in a nutshell


My beloved Pounds Thinner AND Easy Please. In a knit!
Front zippered

I made this one

and this one.

I still want this one. It is almost exactly like the next one, though.
Styling is everything.

And this one too. WilliSmith in my wardrobe NOW



I have an older edition of this pattern. 
There's a children's version


This is the secret sauce that makes this work.

And to sum up, the ones you didn't know you needed, but you do.


Back in the old days, we had to draft our own fun.


Although now you can pick one up a little more straightforwardly

https://www.simplicity.com/simplicity-storefront-catalog/patterns/costumes/simplicity-pattern-100301-misses-star-trek-suit/




3 comments:

  1. Definitely wore pantdresses (street length), as well as the Palazzo (full length) beginning in the mid-1960s through the mid 1970s. I think I abandoned the street length around 1967. They were a royal pain, but we were allowed to wear those and culottes to school (with approved skirt/dress length and fullness, of course). They had a minimum length; guess who wore a wool maxi skirt one cold day and opened a new can of worms? ;-) Public schools had very strict, but non-uniform dress codes back in the day. No pants or shorts for girls or jeans for anyone. Guys could wear cords, plain t-shirts with a pocket. I don't think it occurred to any of the guys to wear shorts to school. 8-o

    That Vionnet-inspired pattern is gorgeous. The Daisy Kingdom pattern--not so much. lol


    Taja

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of jumpsuits. I would love to wear jumpsuits, if I didn't have to ever pee or if I was able to catheterize myself, but then again where would I carry the bag containing the pee? Never mind.

    It seems like every 15-20 years or so, jumpsuits become fashionable again. Which is just about how long it takes for people to remember having to become contortionists in a toilet cubicle, and that lovely feeling of the torso being just a tiny bit too short for comfort. Which is why you never see women of 50+ wearing one. We remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate! I wore gaucho jumpsuits in the 1970s and then had a favourite tuxedo-style one in the 1990s that I loved and wore to formal parties. I love the raglan sleeve one you just bought, but I doubt I will ever wear anothee jumpsuit (for the pee problem). I just remember being really cold in the bathroom as I disrobed to use the facilities.:)

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.