Sunday, February 23, 2020

What was that bit about jobs that require new clothes? Warming Them Up For The Novelty Wardrobe

The overalls were a little unexpected for the office, but the Ophelia's are pretty cute and corduroy, so they passed muster.
I started a new job and there's not been a lot of sewing going on. 

Mostly what I need to do is warm the office wardrobe up slowly, and then I can start wearing the usual wardrobe. I've been sticking to black pants and low interest patterned knit pullovers. It's still winter, so not much call for tshirts and dresses.

The Mom Job Wardrobe could be anything I felt comfortable in, with a mind to not clashing too much when I left the house. A large amount of novelty fabrics were worn.

And when I had this same job twenty years ago (no shit, the exact same job in the same office for the same company, all new staff and software to learn), it was a pretty loose wardrobe. When I was hired, the office was wide open, so you had to look acceptable (office casual) from head to toe. So when we moved to this location with a little more privacy from the street, the team wardrobe turned to tshirts and jeans and a jacket you could toss over your Motorhead or Pee Wee Herman shirt.  Look adult from the waist up.

Right now the prevalent office clothing is knit pants, plain knit sweaters and tops, and that one person who wears dresses and heels wherever they go. 

I plan on returning to my traditional garb by summer, with a nice version of this v8559 Tilton to throw over when I have to present as normal (or it gets chilly).

It's a pretty simple shape (and I'm not a big fan of setting in sleeves in knits, but I will do my patient best)
It's worth a gander on the internets to admire the various versions of this pattern. Plus Ann Smith pops up, which always makes my day. She is my sewing inspiration.

I did hem fifteen more things for the choir, now all I need to do is find the time to deliver them.

I did negotiate a day off to go to SewExpo, which I wasn't sure I would get to. I am sewing a Sew Powerful purse to donate, because it's a great project and I'm that kind of gal. 
https://sewexpo.com/classes-events/events/charity-events/
https://sewpowerful.org/
This is the part of the video that explained to me why the back is in two pieces
https://youtu.be/mIhZW1DT5bs?t=911
Watch this video all the way through before you cut your fabric. There are some differences between the pattern and these instructions, and while I prefer drawings to videos, this is somewhat clearer. Needs section titles, but who am I to judge?

I'm not taking any classes, just going down for a half day to peruse the usuals. I need some zips and some faux leather that won't stink up the joint like the Joann's continues to do.
And maybe a Pendleton scrap piece.
And a scone.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the SewPowerful purse idea -
    Great Scrap buster! I think I'll give it a shot.
    Good luck on the new job and have fun at SewExpo.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.