Sunday, March 15, 2020

The Coolest Ensemble I Messed Up

This was going to be a post about adding pockets to the Turner, and how shifting the side seams forward shows how brilliant I am. And that was a good idea and worked out well. The pocket shift worked at least.
December 2019 Popular Mechanics, page 8

This sums the rest of last year, maybe the entire life of this blog.
I made a thing.
It was okay enough.
But THIS is what I learned from that, and will do that better the next time I make one.
See, I love this magazine.

So,
When I make something that I've made successfully before, changed one thing and BOOM it's a fright show.

I really wanted a stretch velvet leopard print dress. And I had made the Cashmeretter Turner to great success, except the neckline was too wide and deep for my comfort.
So, armed with that data, I hunted down the fabric.
This was a several year process.
I wasn't having any luck, until a clerk at Joann's suggested I look at online sites that specialized in gymnastic wear.
Spandex World came through.

I bought a swatch. I never buy a swatch.
I was doing this right.


Hmmm, lots of tum exposed there.
The Cashmerette Turner in stretch leopard print velvet
Original dress, traced off pattern (too lazy to reprint pdf)
The fail here is that I cut the pieces just right,  but out of the wrong material.

The first version of this Turner dress is made of 4 way stretch, so the bodice lengthens with the skirt weight.
(see, the piece matches the original dress. No I am not going to model it today, you will trust me when I say that the Spoonflower modern jersey will stretch that much to hit my high waist, vs my almost covers the rib cage)
This stretch velvet doesn't really stretch lengthwise, and the tricot lining I used (the pattern calls for a double layer in the bodice pieces) has absolutely no longitudinal stretch.
Thus adding the waist piece. Which bags. 
Yes, I wore it out, but only as a part of the Super Over The Top Ensemble for the Nutcracker ballet. Love that WilliWear leopard chubby! Also love those pony fur leopard print creepers.  This is as much of this as you are going to see.
But! you wail! That bag does not match.
Oh, but just you wait!
We have a leopard bag with a failed clasp to match.
 Spoonflower minky fat quarter

And the clasp broke before it left the workroom

It's just not meant to be.

1 comment:

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.