Sunday, August 30, 2020

Alter It In August Is Just Like Every Other Month Around Here

The unaltered version of the photo 
I do a lot of alterations and mending, but this month was kinda slow (kinda working on going to work during the day and just draaaaaagging home at the end of it)


This was a skirt my sister wanted made into a shirt.
About three years ago.
Happy birthday!
You can see where the kick pleat adds to the width of the fabric (shown folded at the bottom edge). I had to stare at this photo for awhile until I realized I could cut the front piece in one on the crossgrain, most of the back on the cross, and the back with the top of it as a yoke cut on the straight, with enough to make bias strips for the facings.



actual layout of pieces on fabric not shown. Got too busy to stop for photos.

August is not a great time to try on new stuff, it's really suited to mending and remaking.
There was dyeing for future pants (I can't get the colors to look as sharp as in real life, sorry)
T shirt hems were transmogrified into face mask straps

There were a lot of masks made

And there was some altering to suit.

This Gudren Sjoden dress made from floaty cotton got turned into a tunic length top with a faced hem and a matching facemask.
final products, edited photo
Every alteration is 50% unpicking. God I love that seam ripper. Saturday night television watching/unpicking featured Curse of the Mummy's Tomb, episodes of Star Trek, Buck Rogers (the Erin Grey one), The Invaders (guest starring William Windom as the heroic defense contractor and Micheal Rennie as an alien bad guy. That show was a snore, so I went to bed and continued this morning) so I'd be fresh with the rotary cutter.
cut off the too long
trimmed one side into hem facings (left the other for the mask)
stitched a line where the finished interior seam will be
Pinned one into place.

Stitched and turned and ironed (in progress)

And made a mask. This fabric almost like crepe, so this was the hardest part after picking out the seams last night.

Fortunately the Nordic Museum, attached to the gift shop this was purchased online from:  
IS OPENING AGAIN!
and I will get to see this show in a couple weeks. 

Yes, there will be photos if allowed.

1 comment:

  1. I luv the matching face masks. I have not been sewing at all. You are a trooper, to be sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.