Sunday, August 9, 2020

Repair Cafe with Dragon Poodle: The Upside to Staying Home

Cheryl of Dragon Poodle Studio is my sewing machine hero. In addition to her instruction, her good humor and generosity, there's MINIKENNIE LOVE! And courtesy of socially distanced times, we can see her doing her stuff online, now posted on YouTube.

 Repair Cafe is an inperson meetup in many areas, where you bring in your broken or injured object and the coaches help you determine what's the matter and help you fix it. It's the best idea ever, but in these distanced times, impossible to meet up for.
Except online.

https://youtu.be/z_LCxh8YnQA
It was a genuine thrill to watch this live. Yes, I am that geek. Cheryl gives very good advice that is well worth your time. Even if you never repair your own machine, this maintenance instruction will keep your machine and you very very happy. I cannot stress this enough; it's solid gold.

LIVE! I watched it LIVE.

In the same vein, the Costume College moved online, so I got to attend some of the panels, albeit after they ran. Here's your cheat sheet to links to those events. I'd like to thank Cindy over at Cation Designs for the nudge and the link up.



My bucket list now has fewer things on it, though I would ADORE the chance to attend any of these events in person. Any opportunity is a pleasure.

But what about..... San Diego Comic Con? And MST3K? 
https://youtu.be/E_cL3l76EwM

I got to go to Virtual Hall H at San Diego Comic Con for several events. You can use the video link to find the others on YourTube. His Dark Materials and Nathan Fillion were two others I watched.
(I can't post you the link to the Phineas and Ferb panel because it's now blocked in the US. Damn you Disney!Spoiler: we get one more movie later this August)

Adding one more helpful link: Atlas Obscura has loads and loads of fun and weird online events. I have 'attended' a concert of sound effects for horror films, a private tour of a comic book collection and hope to hit a few more.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/experiences?

This is no replacement for the real thing. But these are things I have wanted to do for some time and been unable to attend for time and money and access issues. Because of online access, I've been to concerts in people's homes, a lecture on the costumes of the Ballet Russes, a couple of Mark Morris Dance Company events, I finally even saw Basil Twist and Joey Arias. I have been happy to pay for the privilege, nominal amounts given the costs I would incur in person.

Until the time we can meet in person again, I am going to enjoy what I can in the meantime.
I hope you can, too. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I follow your blog and didn't anticipate seeing my sewing machine e workshop here! Thanks for your kind words. I had a blast doing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a ton of fun, and a pleasure to add a face to the name. I appreciate being able to 'pay you back' for all the years of good good content

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.