Thursday, March 14, 2013

Adding pockets to existing jackets






I am killing time before the Pattern Review Stash contest begins on the 16th. So I'm finishing up the stuff that I have meant to do, such as putting pockets into the jackets that need them. I've had this grey rain jacket's parts cut out for months, so I guess it's time to finish the deed.

Great jacket, but like all women's clothes, no interior pockets. My solution is to add interior panels and sew pockets to them, then sew panels to jacket.

Trace pattern from interior

Dry fit panel to interior

I'm attaching the panel to the interior seams at it's edges; the side seam, the top and bottom seams (have to open them up) and the front facing flap.




Okay, I made the pocket without showing you. Trying out where it should go.

Sew pocket to panel.

Pin fitting panel (edges finished with overcast stitching)

Zipper tab. I have learned how awful it is to try to zip the interior pocket with one hand, so a tab really helps.


First, sewing the panel to the flap from the front facing extension.


Left a long tail from machine sew to backstitch to the edge


Flipped back, lining the interior edge up to pin from inside

Flipped it over and pinned from outside to stitch in the ditch on the front (removing pins from inside)

And this side is done. The other side will happen offline.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.