Thursday, May 12, 2016

Sprout Grows An Appleton

I've been a skeptical customer/designer on Spoonflower for a few years now, and a beta tester on the 'cut and sew' project that turned into the Sprout Pattern company. 

(for the new: where a pattern is printed onto the fabric for your 'cut it out and sew it up' use)

Hey, a tshirt from the first betas!

They've made tshirts (I've made the tshirt) and some simple clothes, but nothing that really took advantage of the capacity of Spoonflower to add sizes and pattern shapes.

Now we're talking about living up to your potential here.

Wider range of sizes AND cup sizes


Frankly, I'm an A cup, but you get the idea


And there is no size price penalty
$99 for all.

(insert your favorite happy yell here)

You can select two prints
and move them around to place the print as you'd like it on the fabric
Sadly, the two front wrap panels do not line up with each other across the torso at this point, so a big motif is not going to match.  Yet. Bet they fix that soon. And I picked these prints to show that; I'm not that overcaffeinated with the print choices. But the day is early....

Before you all go off to play with this new toy,

A stern warning from the management of Ernie K Labs:


The flat model on the left is what will get printed, NOT the 3D on the right.
So even though it all looks okay enough on the right, you're getting a 'headlight' on the left wrap panel (red circle on 2D). 

No, this is not cheap. Modern Jersey is $26.50 a yard, 56" wide. It's a little on the light side for my tastes for weight, but appropriate for the dress design. And the Appleton Pattern is $14 for the PDF (included in this package). This does get you the main print choice as well as a second choice for the trim, which would be an additional yard (Spoonflower doesn't do half yards, just fat quarters and swatches).

It's not cheap. But it's pretty damn cool. A good step forward for Sprout/Spoonflower, and a great collaboration with Cashmerette.


2 comments:

  1. Possibly the price would put me off the combo but it's good to see designs kind of 'imagined'. The last dress, without headlight, is quite stunning. I wouldn't mind a DVF wrap-dress that's a bit planety!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just too spendy for me, the modern jersey is on the 'it can get transparent' side, and I'm not so good with things that wrap. But I do love that they are using 'real' patterns for this. Well, real enough....

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.