Monday, September 18, 2017

Tastes Like Chicken Costume Edition 2017

This time of year, there is always much amusement for me in licensing of costume patterns.
I'll make believe this is not Belle. Or Elsa. from the McCalls catalog, in Joanns, this morning.

Do I really want to rehash this issue? I mean, it cracks me up that we pretend that McCalls and Vogue and Butterick are three different companies.
Oops. KwikSew too.
Further down that page

CSS Industries is....

What they are not, is Disney.

If you really want a rabbit hole of girly

Getting back to our real/faux mix of branded/licensed goods, Simplicity once again tops the entertainment pile.



They have a heady mix of official and unofficial costume pattern work.  
Sometimes both in one run (Retro and Regular Wonder Woman is licensed, Plus size Wonder Woman is not. Grateful she's there at all I guess. New Wonder Woman from the film is not a licensed pattern option)
She only got to size 16. I assume there's a lot of corset/gauntlet work going on out there in the workrooms, getting ready for the national holiday. I was a little surprised Yaya Han doesn't have a WWinspired  set.

 Simplicity's site is a wonderland. I do love that they've gone big for Lolita costumes (and I don't mean Nabokov). I personally am saving up for the Star Trek skant.

But this leaves me speechless.

For your consideration,

and over here:
Click on the photos to enlarge to inspect the deets.


Ralph Pink Battlesuit

The construction is different, therefore the written instructions are different.  And I have been led to believe by my lawyer friends that unless you file a patent on the process, the instructions are copyright protected, the illustrations are not.  Note: please see comments below for correction to this statement.

I have a great capacity to be pissed off for other people.  And that thing about 'you only really get a week before someone steals your idea' is true. Any expectation of a perpetual exclusive royalty is only available to an international organization with the ability and scope and MONEY to determine copyright law.




2 comments:

  1. "And I have been led to believe by my lawyer friends that unless you file a patent on the process, the instructions are copyright protected, the illustrations are not. "

    I took CopyrightX and I the above is not quite correct.

    The exact wording (verbatim) of instructions can be copyrighted, but not a general description of a technique.

    Mechanical copies of an image violate copyright. But a hand drawn copy is not. And, if you hand draw something, and then upload it to a drafting program, that is not an exact mechanical copy b/c of the hand in between.

    No one can have a copyright on a costume design. You can trademark aspects, like distinctive and exact RGB color combos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Actual facts are much better than suppositions. I will put a footnote on that to direct to this.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.