Saturday, September 30, 2017

The Refashioners 2017 - Suits You Edition

Well, none of this thinking got used. 

one of the many Joseph Beuys felt suits in the world. My personal Dressed To Match journey starts here.

I should mention the Felt Suit will get done this year, probably December.
But if you're going to refashion some thing, you need to go get that thing.

I know, some prefer Goodwill's politics, but I prefer the Village of Values' selection. It's not broken and I can buy it RIGHT HERE and fondle the goods.

So many contestants! 
The cream one rode the cart for awhile, but it lacked details.

Tape from inside of a jacket on that rack. Indeed. I figured a picture would suffice.

A full suit, in decent shape, with some sloppy alterations: can't carve that up for my amusement.
Our victim

Dissection tools

I started putting the pieces on the dress form to keep them in order.


Also started safety pinning the sections to keep the lining/fabric together

I assume that the seam allowances were slightly bigger than this, but probably not more than 1/2" anywhere that I found. Anywhere.

All parts

Front

Inside out front. This photo was from Inside/Out day on House of Pineiro's SewPhotoHop. 
And check out that pick stitching.
I could not hang it back the other way.

I think we have an idea here.

My problem with the Refashioner challenge has been making something I can wear. Something I WILL wear. And you probably already know what I will wear is fairly gaudy.
But the sleeves fit into coats. The coats fit over shirts.
I can WEAR them.

And I need a new vest. A 'ties an outfit together' vest. The old one lives with the Blond One, as I have ....outgrown it.
So I know where I'm going here.

Safety pin for stability

Reassemble on the dress form

Admire the sleeve head. More here than on that Armani.
I doubt that Armani.....

And I'll need bias trim. Never made wool bias trim before.

There's a sleeve. And there's a sleeve's worth of bias trim.

Cut armscyes to fit my shoulders

Transfer one to the other to cut

 As we know, nothing happens in a vacumn, and Heather Closet Case puts up her vest
and I like it, but I realize I can't wear a long vest with any of the coats I have. And while I am going to finish the raincoat, I've got those choir dresses.....I want to finish this now....

so in a irrevocable act of saucy serging, I cut off the bottom half 

It's a little naughty

And now I have more bias material making. Plus the nifty suede tabs at the bottom back vents are now available.
  
Sewing on the bias trim.
And I have to extol the virtues of wool here. It's a deeply forgiving material. It's very satisfying to handsew, it will moosh and stretch and (it will fray) curve and steam into a shape.
I cannot wear it next to my skin, but that's why we have linings.
And I don't wear a vest by itself.

I put the tag on the back lower hem.

There's where the tabs went. These are useless pockets except for theater ticket holders.

So I wore it to the theater last night.

Proof I wore it in public. See, there's ACT Seattle in the background.



Though I think it looks much better over the 2015 Refashioners Quad Popped Collar shirt.

September 30, 2017: done.

3 comments:

  1. Now that is very cool. I am too impressed for words, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow -- am looking forward to our next date!

    sndi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.