Monday, December 11, 2017

Mystery Long Sleeve Shirt Fail, Success, ?? We'll call it a draw

This is what I thought the pattern was.


This is the setting I use for knit stitching.


Tell tale shoulder seam is not a vertical seam feature
This is what I ended up with.

Kids, get a good night's rest. Sewing is not a race! Don't make jokes about the Kessel run on Instagram and then sew tired!

Don't be ME.

So we go back to the shirt that works.


Turn it inside out.


No, it's not the right one. This is the pattern for teen boy.




It's 1/4 inch too small at all the seams.


So we trace another pattern off the one that works.




There's paper and pencils and a straight edge






I'm only going to trace half the sleeve


So I'm going to mark the center line extra nicely.




And to trace the seam edge on the top of the sleeve, I'm using a tip from KD King's playbook and use a wheel and tracing paper..


Place the waxy tracing paper between the item and the paper.


Use the wheel to trace the seam


And lookit! That nice red line is the seam.




Add a seam allowance and fold over and trace the other half.
It may not be perfect but it's symmetrically not perfect.


And label the pattern pieces properly so you can find them again.



The less I say about my knit Mystery Food experience the better. 
Both pieces were printed on offgrain fabric and I wasted a couple of hours trying to grain them up. I ended up cutting out the pieces on a single layer to get them as close as I could. 


I tried the 'fold and hang'. Nope.




This is truth.




I have a million photos just like this one.
The story of my life thus far



Used the 'put the magnet on the threads' trick to get it started. Yes, I'm using clear elastic in this shoulder seam. It's tricky to get started but it's worth it in the long run. And yes, I am about to zigzag over a pin and across another.

 Sewing over pins is my danger zone, baby!


Sadly, the fabric breaks white. Dark printing on white knits will do that where it's stretched.


This the back collar join. White fabric shows on the stretched fold. Le sigh.

It fits. The collar is twisty, but that's operator error. I wanted to get it done in time to wear on Thanksgiving. Which I did.


With a slight alterations of the armsceye to be able to raise my arms, I cut a second version from my Precioussssssss Liberty knit


I did use the art clips/bulldog clips to grain it up. It works.

But when you wash it, this is what happens if ifs not ongrain. And the folded hem is only off a very slight amount.
IF you click on this, it becomes a monster sized photo of epic panoramic fail. One of my better panorama pix, though.



And I did make one more, from the Art Gallery lemon knit.
Which turned out well enough, but it washes me out.
I may pick the collar out and add a contrast bit in there, but we'll let it be for now.
I would add a photo to show this, but I am experiencing technical difficulties and can't upload photos until I get another hub. Twentyfirst century first world problems; the big pc has shorted out and the only reason why I still have any files is that I backed it all up and kept it on backup.
I had to copy this from Instagram to load it here. Until I get back to the 21st century, I won't be posting a lot. Luckily I have a lot of sewing for presents to do.

1 comment:

  1. "I wanted to get it done in time to wear on Thanksgiving. Which I did."

    And she looked smashing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.