Monday, December 18, 2017

Summing Up: Mendings 2017

I'll be honest: I have a big gift sewing post all ready to go. All we need is for Christmas and birthdays to come around and people to get their gifts and see them and not see them here first.

But it's December 18, so that means that post ain't going up soon. So let's start that end of the year "what on earth did I do that didn't deserve an entire post?"

Mending. Lots of mendings.

There's the shoulder reinforcement interior yoke: an ErnieK speciality
The Other Beacon robe's shoulders are all torn up from Cat Carrying.
Love that girl, but she's spoiled rotten.

She Who Must Be Carried.
I think she just likes being at head height.


This is the interior of a shirt of my sister's that got a reinforcing yoke across the back. 
The terror of sewing a big snap onto someone's special leather coat. It worked, but I was terrified the entire time.

Which takes me to trimming next to patches. My duckbill snips are AWOL and while I should just buy another pair, I can't seem to. So I make do with shears.
Aim blade towards seam

Turn blade and cut.
Breathe.
This is a very visible mend, but the technique is the same on the ones I did that are prettier. I want it to be close.

Then we have: pull on pants get a fly. Which means we need to find fabric to add on to make the fly. And the waistband needs to be longer in the front to overlap.


I stole this fabric from one of the interior pockets. Not enough to match the fly, though. This was a quick and dirty job; I should probably replace that gray fly extension with khaki, though the pants will not probably need that as they are just wearing through in the seat.


There's a hole in the bottom of the puffy jacket interior pocket.

So I opened up a side seam

Pulled the pocket out

And stitched the hole closed (and reinforced it all along that line of stitching)


It's a long reach

And hand stitched the side seam back up.

I'll be back in a week or so with the big sewing wrap up. Once they are wrapped, that is.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.