Monday, December 4, 2017

Anglicon 2017 I'm going, dash it all!


I have missed this Northwest event every year since I heard about it, because it was in the summer and summer is just full of stuff.
When they announced that it would be in the winter, I reserved right away.

I have to face the fact that all my Dr Who costumes are Dalek. For those who don't care, The Daleks are probably the most recognized villains from the show. They are "mutants in mechanical shells" that shoot death rays and speak in a mechanized voice and got a significant upgrade in the rebooted series.
They used to roll. Now they fly.

They are the only Whovian villain NOT entirely owned by the BBC. Contractually speaking, they belong to the estate of Terry Nation, and get their own credit as such. It is rumored that they do not appear in the first episodes of the reboot because their contract was still being negotiated.

Now THAT is a villain!

I'm kinda invested in them. I almost started a Dalek formal ballgown the other day, and then the sheer amount of time and money that whim would involve caught up with me.


Me and the Dalek at EMP  MoPop! 



The fascinator doesn't read very well, it needs a bigger base, but I'm going without it. And man, I look so pissed off here. I'm not a good unfriendly Dalek. I can't go mean.

I also fail at the Dalek weaponry.
The paint roller weapon cannot readily be made from a paint roller. The paint roller handle is very very thick (so it won't bend while you roll) and there's no point in wasting time on cutting or bending it. The roller caps, however,are a good model for how to build one from plastic bottle caps and coat hangers (my chosen media)

I like to think of this as Dalek Accountant. A little Seventh Doctor in the hat, a little 12th in the Paul Smith flipback hem (and yes, that's an Issey Miyake jacket V1664),  and a whole lot of "I should be carrying a briefcase"
Will take the onesie. Jammie time.
The sundress works well under thermal underwear in winter. This was 2016 Halloween.
The shirt was my beta test item for Spoonflower's 2015 Sew Shirt, their 'cut and sew' which turned into Sprout Patterns.


And the self-drafted culottes. I will put the pattern up online someday, but if you stare at this, you get it. It's one piece, it's pretty simple. 

I am not the Perfect Whovian. I have....never seen a Pertwee episode. All we got here on West Coast television in my tender youth was Tom Baker and David Tennant's father in law. The latter will be at this said event. Also Sylvester McCoy, who I adore from many other things. Big doin's! I am looking forward to fist fights about #13 being a lady and all. I've got my plunger ready and I'm spoilin' for a fight.

---
I went, I had a lovely time.
Sylvester McCoy made a comment about the Whovian fans, that they were the most inclusive lot he'd ever seen in the pop culture convention world. And it's true; there are more differently abled folks in the ranks, more entire families (three or four generations) in attendance, and there was no guff, no rolled eyeballs, no fights.

There was patience for the newer fans, and abundant love for the younger ones and those with a different language or perception of it.

And I'm sorry that I don't have a picture of the Tardis lady chasing her toddler time lord, but I don't take photos without asking, and they were in a hurry.

And this would have been very appropriate.
I stole this from Roisin at Dolly Clackett. Love you.

2 comments:

  1. This looks like so much fun! I'm glad you are attending. And the idea of "Anglicon" devoted to British TV makes me laugh (in a good way)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll be honest: I'm publicly shaming myself into not weaseling out. It would be easier on my family relationships if I didn't go. But I always do that. THIS TIME WILL BE DIFFERENT!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.