Sunday, July 22, 2018

Going to call it what it is: the cutie


I don't know what else to call this dress.
sewn in 2002 or 2003. Not my first quilting cotton dress, but reaaaaaaaal close
It's cute.
I've made it over and over again. I've worn a couple of them to shreds.

I'm 5'2" (158cm) and cute was the default mode for many years. 
shakes head. I'm 59.5 in years, so that's less interesting to me than it used to be. 
I blew through making this one, so no photos. It's cute.

There's not much to say about this dress. It's drafted from my bodice block, and it has a front button cut-on facing, a 60-64" circumference tube skirt gathered at a slightly higher waist, no darts, short sleeves that have a pretty high armscye, and patch pockets.
For coffee 'go' mugs.

The pieces all run the same direction this way. Particularly if you turn this upside down. Or stand on your head.
The skirt needs to be about 60" plus wide, so it needs to be in two pieces. One seam is the center front, the other is sorta buried in the gathers. The whole dress only takes 1.75 yds of 40-44" quilting cotton. 

 I have been buying for this in 2 yard lengths to be able to match the fronts. This is needed more or less depending on the pattern repeat size. 

The Sewing Woes has a 23" inch repeat, which is a beast and eats up yardage. Luckily it's mostly on grain, so I'm not digging myself a deep hole for later. 
I cut one front, iron the facing over, and then match it up on the yardage.

 I use the front piece and match the center front line with the piece flipped, make sure it's got enough fabric for it's facing, and then cut that.
I clip a notch at where that front facing folds over on the top facing.

When in doubt, I leave as much space around pieces for wiggle room. I can always trim back the excess.
Directions: I sew the collar facings to stabilize that open collar curve ASAP.


Then it's endless fiddling with making the front opening match up properly.

Unfortunately, the printing is not consistant across the Woes yardage, so I had to choose what I needed to be perfect and what I could live with.

My acceptable error rate is ......uh, I'm no Peter Lappin. 

http://malepatternboldness.blogspot.com/2018/07/how-do-you-like-my-octopus.html

 The rest just follows: shoulder seams, sleeves, side seams, attach skirt.
I add the pockets last.



I didn't try to match the bodice to the skirt. Too many gathers for that to make sense

i did get to use the nifty selvage on the facing on this one.

Sadly, the buttonholes have become the problem child of the sewing room.
This is the automatic buttonhole when I follow the directions.


Lots of picking and redoing. 
It took me many years to realized I would be much happier unpicking and redoing, rather than shrugging and moving forward with the errors. I do thank Peter Lappin's blog for that; it is worth the effort. Until it's not.

I did hit the button stash hard for these. 

These magenta kids don't all match each other. This is probably the only thing I will ever sew that they will go with, so I went with them. The yellow will audition again, I know.
I do love pawing through the buttons. 
I might have a lot of them. This is only one jar. (the 'cheezy plastic button' collection)

The Dickies is for scale, until I realize the square they are on is one inch, thus scaled. The three holes have been collecting in this one jar, from all the other bags and bags of buttons from every thrift store and estate sale I've ever been to. Okay, maybe I have too many buttons.
Maybe I have just enough.
Sewing Woes is done and ready for duty. 

9 comments:

  1. great dress - love the comic print.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! One of these days I really should bite the bullet and draw up some blocks...but I find it so booooorrrriiiiinnnngggggg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems really dull, but you probably already have a bodice that fits you. There ya go. I regret not investing in a tonne of tracing paper.

      Delete
  3. oh, oh, oh. so much cuteness, I luv it. I can't believe you get all that out of 1.75 yards! Just my style too...except longer sleeves. Genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The thing that amazed me is that I've managed to keep that yardage even though I...have grown wider. Much wider. I always needed to piece the skirt as the backside has always been wide. Since I did not get taller, the yardage stayed the same.
      I would trade that for taller.

      Delete
    2. I take that back. I'd rather be taller.

      Delete
  4. That dress looks so great on you!
    Appreciated the time you take to describe your sewing in detail, too.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I like sewing and I like writing about sewing, but I find its easier to take photos of my sewing process than myself in the clothes. I guess I'm making a virtue out of a necessity (the lighting in this house is just dead awful). But thank you. They are fun to wear.

      Delete
  5. Love both dresses, but the whales are superb.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.