Monday, August 6, 2018

Frida Jeans

This is the result of this project. It's another - here's how I did this, so I don't forget later. It's kinda long. I should put chapter headings on the sections.

This is not the first pair of Frida pants from this fabric. But those got worn to shreds.
Thus, when this print came up on my Fabric.com ad roll, I hadda jump.
The yardage wasn't quite enough to make the jeans I wanted to make.
So I used the one piece jeans pattern I kludged up.


It really almost is one piece. (waistband and pocket bits separate)




Frida will not always be in one piece here, and for that I am deeply sorry.
She deserves better.




That's the stuff. I've bought.... a lot of it over the years.

Had to piece the waistband (curved, natch!)


The theme here is: this fabric is so busy, it's hard to see the mismatches.
Until it's all I can see. Ow.


And had to piece it to get the length. I mean, I'm short, but a directional print like this eats up scarce fabric. I had to add length at the bottom of the legs. THAT's how little fabric  I had: this pattern needs 2.5 yards. I had 2.


Constructing these pants follows traditional jeans instructions.
First, the pocket bag is sewn to the 'front'


Trimmed and flipped to the inside


Rolled a little over to favor the outside over the inside. I've done it the other way to create an edge on the outside, like fake piping.


So, you were wondering about the side seam. Here's where the pocket bag stops - that 'side seam/dart'.


Top stitching


The pocket lining/facing  gets it's corner of main fabric.




Okay, you see where the pins are holding the pocket bag parts together? We'll stitch along that and up to the waist


Sewing over pins again.....


And I will serge those raw interior edges AFTER I've sewn them together.


Now I can sew up that side seam/dart


And top stitch it.


It ends up as a dart. And there's a little dart  to the right of it, over my high hip. Cause I have a BUTT and a little shelf right there




A damn busy print.


Oh Frida, I am so sorry you ended up on the fly.








It's pretty straightforward from here. 
Note how there's no photos of the fly.
Other people have better ideas on that topic than I.


I do have to sew down the outside of the pocket bags to the 'side seam'



I hate having all those seam allowances where I'm trying to install a button hole.
One previous example of the folded over waistband.

So I extend the waistband past the center line and fold it to the inside at the fly edge.






The waistband facing gets ironed over the raw end to make less lumpiness as well (rather than folding over the raw edge of the heavier outside fabric). 


I do a fake welt with woven fusible. Stitch around where the hole is going to be
Trim and turn


See? Prettier already.


Pulled through


Hand picked edges still not perfect, but it's a goal.
And THEN I iron it. It sorta glues the stitching, the hole, and the back altogether.
I have considered adding a bit of webby fusible for more glue. 


THEN I mark for the rivet button with the awl through the finished buttonhole.


Frida, I am so sorry .




Use a piece of scrap wood to do this on, for that very visible hole reason.




I've been using a dowel to hit the back of the rivet button. I can hold it better and be less likely to smash off center, or smash my finger.


Now we're going to need to finish the interior waistband
I made bias trim from the leftovers from the same fabric in a quilting weight (leftover from the shirt) for the raw edge of the waistband facing.


It doesn't match up, but you are only going to see a little of it.




Folded over and stitched in the ditch. This facing will get stitched to the bottom of the waistband on the outside when all is done.





 The last bit is the most boring: stitching the back center seam, and then stitching the legs to themselves - up and over.


My goal is to do a menswear back seam: up the back and through the waistband and facing all in one, so when I have to alter these, I have topstitching and the back seam to unpick and redo.
The seam allowances should be facing up, so they get stowed away in the waistband. Like in the photo below.
These pants were a fail, but the photos aren't too bad, This one certainly.
The lesson from those:  It does not pay to use a fusible woven to stabilize barkcloth and expect the results to have any flexiblity. At all.

THEN I can stitch the waistband down, sew the leg seams and hem them.
Which goes lickety split.

I like that jeans are very detailed in the beginning (the fly, the pockets) and get less detailed and faster as you get to the end.
Kind of like my attention span on this post.

11 comments:

  1. What a great pair of trousers, and I particular loved your buttonhole finishing, it seems like it would be very stable and secure. I love learning from fellow sewists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. There are a couple of pairs of pants I've made this buttonhole for, previously, and that buttonhole is the only thing that has held up. As long as you/I don't cut it too close (and I let the fusible wrap around the 'lips'), they wear well.

      Delete
  2. Very detailed post - and that fabric is just WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have bought it every time I see it. I might have a problem.
      I might...not. No, I do. I want it in the black background next time. Here's hoping.

      Delete
  3. This is such a great tute that I could almost get tempted into wearing jeans again. Almost.

    And the fabric! Go, Frida!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I cut her face and put a rivet button through her.....oh, the inhumanity....(thanks).
      The pants themselves look fine. That fabric is so busy, it's hard to notice.

      Delete
  4. Wow, thank you for the show and tell on the waistband! And the buttonhole...brilliant! Menswear waistbands rock when it’s time to alter. (At my house there’s more letting out than taking in.) I’ve bookmarked this post because I know I’ll be looking for it later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I learned this the hard way, working on costumes for a cheap local theater. You can add a wedge of fabric into that back seam, that wedge being stolen from the usually too wide legs. It's the sort of work that teaches you never to cut something down when you alter it.

      Delete
  5. That was fun! Love all the details on your no-side-seam pocket, as well as the button hole—I may have to try that one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're a jeanuis. (geez) I mean making jeans at all, and then making them that fit, not to mention with Frida on them. I rest my case.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.