Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Girl stuff i don't know how to do: Sleevy Shawl

Things I cannot do:

 High heels

Makeup

Scarves

 I'm looking at this pattern and thinking the reason why it doesn't work for me is that I'm not a shawl or scarf wearer. If I were accomplished or even familiar with wearing a shawl, the one sleeved shawl would make sense and I could make it work. I could put it on and make it stay.

How do you people do that?


https://www.decadesofstyle.com/collections/1950s-sewing-patterns/products/5006-1950s-stole
I have every sewing ambition there is or can be.
More aspirational than accomplished I think; the title slapdash sewist was already taken.
I spend a lot of time making little models and thinking about shapes.
And after seeing Julie's Jet Set Sewing version, 
https://jetsetsewing.com/2018/03/25/oscars-report-get-a-snack-its-a-long-post-and-daniel-day-lewis-sewing-blog/

I wanted to play with this.


This is an issue. It is important, and appreciated.


I am not giving anything away by showing you this picture. As with most vintage patterns, the pieces mean nothing. Look at the photos: it's a sleeve with wrapping parts and a secret pocket.
The instructions are the gold.


And we are going to remind you, in a different typeface: don't make the mistakes your forebears did on Pattern Review. 

There was a tissue fit with the full size piece. It was....I'm short. 
The sleeve was the height of my torso.
It's a midriff baring wrap for her. 
It's an entire torso and change for me.
I'm really short apparently, because what's left is HALF the size.

There are no finished photos. It turned into something entirely different, because it was huge and I just can't throw that one end over my shoulder to the back and THEN bring that other end to the front.
There might have been a bit of ripping.
Maybe.
(there was a lot)

2 comments:

  1. You want to know how we do it? We wear wool. Friction between the wool scarf and the wool top is what keeps the thing more or less on. And also not skimping on size, because a big shawl wraps around but a small scarf will always end up in your soup, or slither away on the stairs. (M-C)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There was much more to this post about making a sleevy shawl, and it just got bogged down in the tech drawing weeds (also ugly photos) and you have addressed the issue I really wanted to talk about. How do you get that flap over the shoulder to the back? A mighty FLING of the flap, and then put the sleeve on?
      Don't worry, I won't ask about the high heels.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.