Sunday, February 3, 2019

January Alterations

Got some stuff to change.
A hem for the spouse in those brown pants. The Marimekko sleeveless dress. The striped linen jumpsuit for round two. 
And the black pants with the waistband.
So here's the deal: the client is a shapely woman whose waist/hip ratio has made the side seams pop open at the waist band when she pulls them on.
And yes, they have a fly of adequate length. She's just got all that going on.

 So we're going to put some elastic in the sides to add that bit of 'give'




Just enough. I'm a little concerned that these 'vents' are going to pinch and bite, so she's trying them out. We'll see if this works or not.

The jumpsuit is not pictured. It was a lot of unpicking.
And sewing. And unpicking.
It was similar to this Simplicity model and needed better elastic to hold the weight of the bottom. 

 So it needed a bigger channel, which was originally a wide flat felled seam. Which I couldn't seem to figure out how to widen. There's kind of an explanation in the instructions for this Simplicity pattern, but I'm putting myself to sleep thinking about it. I added more fabric to make a bigger channel and then put in wider nonroll elastic. 
Of course I had to edit their instructions to make them make more sense to me. I'm seeing this pattern coming back to haunt me shortly, so why not take a moment and solve the dilemma.

The Marimekko x Uniqlo a line dress became a tunic. 
I trimmed off the bottom and used the original hem facing as the new hem facing.

I removed the facing with this handy dandy tool from Kai Scissors and Pac Fabrics:

I am willing to bet this will be at their booth at SewExpo. 


You mark from the edge with the t-square and use the facing as the cutting line.
The hem was to fall just below the bottom of the pockets.


Sew it back on, iron, topstitch. Life is good. I did handsew the facing to the back of the pocket (so I didn't sew them shut at the hemline)
Another batch of choir clothes came in yesterday, but we'll get to them later.
Some of the black hems failed. Some did not. Some failed in epic fashion.
None of the blue skirts failed.
The front hems failed. The back hems did not. And not all of them. "A lot of them", which is not a great or useful damage report.
There is more stretch potential on the front skirt than the split piece back.

Hmmmmmmm!
We will find out where the fail faulted and fix. Next week's edition.
Faboo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.