Friday, September 13, 2019

Sew Squad - Teen sewing advertised on NPR Marketplace

"Super Simple Sewing Patterns"
(Snippy comment removed)

https://sewsquad.com/

My spouse dragged this out of me, and I do have a bright idea at the end.
No tech drawing? Hm.
Leaning how to sew is harder than it needs to be.
Super simple sewing patterns are boring. There's too much repetition of the same basic shapes. So much depends on fabric choice, and that's easy to screw up.
Independant pattern companies are plentiful, but pricey.
The price point of entry is always too high, because the cost of doing business goes up all the time. Shipping is EXORBITANT now.

We've seen these patterns before. We probably own them, in multiples. They are in many books pitching sewing to the young and fashion-friendly.


A mere drop in the bucket

The McCalls 6074 is not a teen-driven design, but it DOES say 'fast fashion' on the top of the envelope. The part you'll see in the drawer at the store. Also, jumpsuit pattern available on Etsy. https://i.etsystatic.com/9846980/r/il/7f5ba7/2020713959/il_794xN.2020713959_nl52.jpg
So the question is not: is this company worth paying attention to for designs
BUT
for how they sell entry level sewing?
Their social game is good. Zoey Washington is doing her job. 
hashtag squad goals
The product isn't very interesting yet. They are super simple designs, which are not original at all. To sell the idea that sewing these will be fun, 
I want more variety in the samples and more styling choices on the website.The website is the showroom; it's the selling tool and the place to show off the product.  
This sweater is not on the website. Give me a tutorial to make it, and I'm all yours.
It's one thing to show what you aspire to make on your Instagram feed, it's another to show results with your products. Add on projects included with the pattern to use leftover fabric are mentioned, but not shown. I'd use those items to style the clothing. If you have read a 'teens SEW' book in the last ten years, the emphasis is on making it your own. Search "teen DIY' - it's amazing. 

But my real argument is on this page, starting at the top.
This size chart hurts me. What generation are you selling to? Go check in on https://www.teenvogue.com/fashion
They really do have it all going on right now. Also worth a read:
https://www.teenvogue.com/story/anti-prom-event-safe-and-stylish-spaces-queer-people
I would have started with the boys and the plus size patterns.
You want a hungry audience? That's fashion forward.

If I was your good reporter, I'd buy a pattern and review it, but I think what you see is what you get here. The patterns do come with instructions, a measuring tape and a sewing primer. The measuring tape part is new. The sewing primer could be great. There is a video up now, showing how to make the tshirt. It's linked off the website.

In this competitive market, the most successful online indies have a free sample pattern, so you can get a taste of what you're dropping your money on. I need to know what I'm buying here I can't get for less somewhere else? What is your secret sauce?

Hey, a flat lay!
Slang changes very quickly. Score and dope.

If you've used their patterns, let me know. I'm happy to be wrong.
The following has nothing to do with this story. I just thought the post needed a little more pink
collage from 1st Dibs
https://www.1stdibs.com/fashion/clothing/suits-outfits-ensembles/rare-chanel-pink-tweed-skirt-suit-supermarket-collection/id-v_3722413/

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that size chart is ridiculous. I have an almost 11 year old granddaughter who fits their small and she would barely be in their target market. She would have a hard time interpreting sewing instructions and navigating a machine without some initial lessons from an adult. Sewing "squad" indeed. Meh, I hate that word. And oh yes, Kai Ryssdal IS the sexiest man on radio!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally underwhelmed. The "styles" are not current or particularly attractive. The website is ugly, it looks like it was designed by someone's niece or nephew who just learned some coding. And that size chart! 27 inch waist is large? And isn't the slang out of date? I could go on even more, but I will stop now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.