Sunday, March 14, 2021

Aprons and Appropriation


 Read the comments on this video for a little back and forth on the history

I'm here because my sister has asked for an apron just like Sohla El-Waylly, and since she does not ask for much, it's the least I can do for her.

I went looking for a pattern because sometimes I like someone else to do the drafting.


You may be familiar with Sohla's story

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/08/06/bon-appetit-test-kitchen-stars-depart-new-exec-editor-named/3310473001/

and this great interview with Sam Sanders
https://www.npr.org/2021/03/05/974000091/sohla-el-waylly-on-race-food-and-bon-appetit

I think it's unkind to sell merch with someone's name if that someone was being underpaid for their 'celebrity' work, but it's a big world

So I found this one
https://www.etsy.com/listing/913532722/criss-cross-apron-pattern-one-size-fits?ref=shop_home_feat_4&bes=1

I did flip the piece to snug it up to the other and leave a bigger leftover piece. I also print on used paper that I decided you did not need to see the other side of.


used this fabric (from a Beppa sale, deeeeeeep stash I think my sister picked out for me)

Added some skinny pockets on the sides without being asked.
I can take them off if she'd like.



and it's done



1 comment:

  1. EXACTLY what I've been eyeing up lately. I really must wean myself off my horrible habit of constantly wiping my hands on the sides of my trousers while cooking- the missus is always on at me about it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.