Thursday, June 17, 2021

Back Off, Interwebs

 


I get at least one, if not two, emails from Spoonflower every damn day.

(this is going to be a rant, you can tell, because the very first sentence has 'Spoonflower' and a profanity already)

BACK OFF.

The more a company emails me, the less I care. My own company is so guilty of this, they ALREADY are marked as a spammer in my WORK emails (and I didn't set that).

Spoonflower is the ad I see on every webpage as well.

Yes, I design on SF, and I spend time on their website, but I honestly feel stalked by them.  And this email is just taking it one step too far. 

I have not been browsing the site; I have been logged in and managing my account. I am getting mails from them as a designer reminding me that I get a discount and that they are having another sale for bulk purchases. Not to be confused with the fat quarter sale they just had. I have lost count of those sales this year. The minute I need one, I know they won't have one, and that's okay.

It just all sounds desperate. And I hope it's not, because they provide a useful service. I know from their videos that they scaled up to meet increased demand over the pandemic, and maybe that demand has dropped but the payments on the new machines have not.

The more I hear a message, the less I hear it. The public service announcments on the bus reminding me to wear a mask. The death toll on the radio. The emails from Burda.

I do open the emails from Burda.

Courtesy of the Uniqlo deluge, I spent some quality time at work on this

Because not all chores happen in a barn

And then there's this

https://link.spoonflower.com/u/gm.php?prm=9NpFQnqOJC_760824686_257417_630&_esuh=_7_e6c9e3da3d0f53b45f8f8efbfc2dd79499b5e627c9d6f0c13ba3877bac09d7de

4 comments:

  1. I keep picturing another whole fiasco, similar to the Craftsy/Blueprint... THING. I really don't want to lose SF, even if I DO have difficulties being able to afford their fabric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, too. I started with SF to make prints for myself for cosplays of Dr Who characters and rarely order anyone else's fabric designs; I am addicted to the discount now. Their quality has gone way up over the years, but their garment weight fabrics are limited. For anything more than a yard, I really have to consider how much I need it.

      Delete
  2. I too became concerned with that last "Shutterfly bought us" email.
    A friend told me about Contrado, which is based in the UK. I've only gone as far as ordering the swatches of substrates (LOTS! Silk!) -- delivery was WAY faster than SF. The product range is kind of a mash-up of SF and Redbubble.
    https://www.contrado.com/

    I had a happy "ad cookie" situation develop while researching Vlisco fabric. Vlisco is super sticky, and I don't mind being flashed Wax Print fabrics in all the ad places one bit! Heehee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Contrado and Fashion Fabric UK have a lot of fabrics that SF doesn't have, and a lot of them are ....not what they are described as.
      Get the swatch pack before you order anything.

      Right now FF is having a sale, and so I pulled out my swatch packs and compared what they have in stock to what I have as labeled, and there wasn't a lot in common. Either they are switching up the names (a problem I ran into with a french terry I ordered that was not a french terry when I got the yardage) or they just don't have a consistent supplier. I don't trust them anymore.

      Contrado has been more consistent, but they are spendier. They appear to be having a sale at the moment, but....same advice for everyone. Pop for the swatch pack first. They have worked really hard to print and deliver faster to the US, and I worry about that (as shipping from the UK has been redonckulous).
      I need Vlisco to be my ad buddy.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.