Monday, June 28, 2021

v 2127 1998 Issey Miyake woven top: tracing and altering a vintage pattern

Tracing off 2127, because these patterns are too valuable to cut. 



All ironed and ready to trace

And there's going to be some pretty heavy alteration work to size it up for me. I went by the stated body measurements to determine how much to add (not going by finished numbers, as the wearing ease for this top is an important part of the style). I traced the pattern and then carved it up 


I use a soft (2B) 2mm lead for the broad strokes and a Flare pen for the final. I try not to put any lines or marks into or on the original, so no ballpoints or hard pencils. Also: don't use Sharpies as they will bleed through.  I don't usually do much erasing, I find a soft fat lead has just the level of traction and visibility for this work. I mark all the marks and copy all the information on every piece because I won't have the original around to verify. If I am going to make lots of nonstandard alterations, I will trace a copy of my copy to alter that.

I didn't bother with that nicety this time. I did not trace the pants, either. This is probably going to be a one and done make.
This was a second pass at altering the sleeve, as I tried on the sleeve and needed more more in the biceps (vs just 'more')
The lines point to the problem: more arm than sleeve




Comparing the marks on the sleeve to the sleeve pattern and splitting it  for retracing in the photo below.


I will do another post on the instructions and the results.
Stay cool kids.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.