Monday, June 27, 2022

Sewing that doesn't fit into one post or another: some WIPS

 I could just skip blogging June entirely. 

Work has been nuts. I am making myself sit at my computer to write this (all I do all day long is sit at a computer. Oy) 

I have been sewing. Mending.

This mini backpack has needed a handle forever. Wrapped a length of webbing around upholstery welting for a handle, opened up that back horizontal webbing and poked it in place, and stitched it back up. More sewing with plyers while watching Svengoolie.


Still needs a tidy up. Also one of the long straps is missing an end and about ten inches of strap. 
Yoinks.

I had to take the presser foot off to get it under the needle.

Finishing the Felix lobster dress I started last summer; because I CAN.

I changed the neck facing 
(made a coordinating print on Spoonflower and hated it after it was all sewn on)  
and auditioning sleeves.  And yes, I recut the skirt to stop it from poofing out so much.

I dunno. Going to safety pin it and try it on.

and a mask for seeing this
through July 3rd
https://www.seattlerep.org/plays/202122-season/bruce/
the last remnant from the Shark lap quilt
https://erniekdesigns.blogspot.com/2017/05/shark-quilt.html


The Cuties don't fit because cake. 

I need to add some fabric in the side seams.
Mmmmmmm poppin'

 I may have to lose the sleeves to do this. I have more of these dresses, but some might be made of fabric I can't photograph and put on the blog, ya know.
There was cake. And work and family anxiety. And cake.

And I have about ten blogs about projects that aren't quite ready to go.

More will be said about some of these things, but I just can't sit here anymore and type right now.

6 comments:

  1. I know that you're a Sewist, with a capital S, but here's a quick hack that I've used to save a few items, & I definitely hacked it ;-)

    Sew a strip of coordinating fabric from the edge of the sleeves, all the way to the hem. Fast, easy, & it looks (mostly) intentional

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a tuxedo pant stripe! Love it! (not so capital S)

      Delete
  2. I got a charity shop sweater that was size s and I am 2 sizes beyond that. It was a fennel merino so I got it anyway......some weeks later I find a tee shirt in a similar shade....so I did similar to Laurinda suggestion above and sewed a 3 inch strip up side and sleeve seams in underarm.....worked perfectly........however on patterned fabric it may be trickier.....that shirt is lovely so it would be great if it could continue to be worn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore that lobster dress, you should definitely strut through summer in your best Schiapparelli impersonation. But also, cake. Sometimes cake is the best life has to offer, and it'd be a sad thing to be deprived of that. Fortunately you know how to sew, so it's not entirely a tragedy. I second Laurinda's side band suggestion, it works well enough, whether you use a contrasting color (adding touches elsewhere to make it look intentional?) or existing scraps (pieced? Framed by contrasting piping?). And you are a most prolific multi-crafter, as we see for that gnarly bag repair, but maybe you should briefly prioritize some emergency cuties+ so you feel more at peace? I bet one weekend of garment concentration would make a difference

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prioritizing cuties for herself is a much better suggestion than ☺️ Having some wins with with something for herself is a great palate cleanser

      Delete
  4. This is a great trick that I have used hundreds of times. A triangle shaped wedge under the sleeve to armpit down to the waist also works well.

    Megan.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.