Monday, May 30, 2022

More pocket - inadequte lady pocket adjustment

This coat has stupid lady pockets 

the pocket I have my fingers in is TOO DAMN SMALL
I think it would have fit the tiny iPod. Too short for a pen. Maybe a chapstick?
So I unpicked the seam along the zipper (blue line in drawing) to open the lining up and pull the pocket out (purple line in drawing) to add more fabric (red line) to it, without taking apart the zipper entrance and facing on the pocket. So I can put in my tiny iPhone. Or a pen.

So none of these photos really illustrate this . Sorry. You pull the lining guts out and it's all a big fabric salad

Here's our front


The seam ripper is pointing at the seam I undid to pull the pocket out to add to the far edge.


So here is most of it pulled to the outside, through the zipper seam


The grey is the original pocket. The blue is the addition. It's attached to a big flap of fabric with a little red fabric connector bit to the lining, so the pocket stays put when you pull something out of it. I disconnected that and reconnected it when the surgery was done.

BIG FABRIC SALAD

and then I sewed the seam by the zipper back up


The after photos...
It will fit a Stacia Burrington divination card  which is standing in for my phone, but I can't take a picture of the phone in the pocket without the phone cause it's the only camera I have now.

The pocket is actually an inch or so longer than this card.

Bonus photo of stitching elastic for more pajama bottoms. More soft sheets, more soft pajams!
I am working on actual clothing, but work is getting nuts and the mending pile is easier to deal with than a new thing from scratch.


1 comment:

  1. Good for you! I guess stupid lady pockets are slightly better than no pocket at all. But they really should be good pockets instead, and extension is easier than total reconstruction. Sorry about the work madness, but you're doing good work here

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.