Wednesday, July 6, 2022

It's Just Not Going To Happen: My Dress Pattern Breakups

It's just not going to happen and I have to let it go. Breaking up is hard to do.

arrow points to protrusion, black line is front seam

 The Felix - Lobster time Edition

I chased the trouble around this dress in several mock-ups: the front V is too deep for me (I am short) and in adjusting that,  the protruding 'fin' on the front has remained or grown.

I have determined that the fin is caused by the collar not being wide enough on the back of the neck: I have grown a little fat pad back there, I have a wider neck anyway, and the facing is pulling the front of the skirt up at the center, developing that fin effect. You can't see it on the dress form, but you can see it on me

Also the new version is just unflattering. It just is.

I can reedit the pattern, but I'm.... tired of it. The inset contrast collar is genius, and to edit that further makes it poorly proportioned. It looks goofy. I've put two finished dresses and countless hours in and I'm just done.

although god knows I did edit the collar anyway


This style arc dress

I am not even sure I kept photos of the toile. The skirt is too big,  the bodice/top sticks out. It's just poor fabric choice on my part; the pattern needs fabric with drape. I really don't need another dress pattern that needs drapy fabric. I already have quite a few. I need a pattern that will make up in novelty cotton for the summer. A large amount of my stash is novelty cotton waiting for shirts or dresses. While I am ditching this pattern for this purpose, I'm keeping the front seams where the pockets go in another dress idea fermenting in my brain.

This self drafted unnamed dress
I'm just not having it here. I have grown, it's too small, I am going to alter it to get it to fit (adding a wedge under the arms) because the original Mystery Food octo print is so nice, and the fabric is really soft. I think the front seams from the Sydney and the curved yoke of this are going to have a party baby 





Tokyobots dress gets and loses a collar. It was resting in the WIP box but writing about the fails made it come out and join the party. On a similar note, am I the only person who organizes sewing around 'what else do I have in progress that uses this color of thread?' 
I doubt I am alone in this.
And I finished it. I like the faced hem. It's a fun print. And this design is done. Maybe it will get a work selfie. We'll see.
I'm just tired of all my previous ideas right now.


2 comments:

  1. My favorite dress for quilting cotton is the Ashton top. I angle the front a little off the fold, & extend the side seams as wide as the fabric allows. With pockets, of course.
    I will say that the armpits need to be raised to cover my bra sizes, & I lower the front just a bit into a V.
    & I don't care about the thread that much these days, but I used to do the same thing, looking for like colors

    ReplyDelete
  2. That octopus print is so good, it'd be a shame not to end up wearing it.. But alas that pad on the neck calls for a modification of the shoulders, not the collar. So far I like the second method here best https://petitefont.com/3-easy-round-back-adjustments-on-knits-html/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.