Sunday, July 31, 2022

I sewed a boat handbag

 I fear I do not have any good photos of when I sewed a boat hat for Seattle Public Theater Youth Program.

Oh wait I do have one


In this tradition, we now have a boat handbag
and it went to Seattle Public Theater to see a how
An hour into its day, it had already lost its front anchors.
Many pieces were reduced to a few. I used the patterns (traced them off) as a jumping off point for my more ship specific idea. Also invented the smoke stacks (that's where cardboard models are super handy). The placement of the pieces on the original tissue was organized by sets for tracing them directly onto bag material. I traced everything a little closer; and I meant to take photos of that, but they were blurry and bad.


And now, loads of process photos
This is my only real tip for handbag construction: it's sculpture. You want to make a model of less precious materials. In this case, I used paperboard (Costco puts this stuff on the top of pallets and it's really useful) and staples.

I also recommend lots of tiny bulldog clips. The dents they put into the vinyl disappeared quickly.

I traced the pattern from the sheet, adapted it for my ship
and traced those pieces onto my vinyl.

Clipmania!

This project went really well, much better than I expected.

Joann's marine grade vinyl sews really easily by hand or machine: 10/10 from me
A small bag of sand is a handy weight that conforms to weird shapes. Will use this again.

Handsewn smoke stack. I added some glue to reinforce the stitches later.


There are just going to be a thousand clips in service on this project

Drafted and sewed a lining
Marked the magnet snap center point with a hole

The magnet is sewn into that poorly shaped triangle at the left on the flap

Decided a rivet was a faster metal thing to magnet to
Sewed the lining to the top of the hull.
The instructions are full of hot glueing stuff together, but sewing this stuff was really easy.
that rectangular hole is how you reach into the bag. Cause it is a bag.


Handsewed the deck/cabin flap to the hull
It got some grommets and a rope handle
A wheel and it's own iceberg
By the time it got to the theater, it had lost its anchors



I am exceedingly pleased with myself in a really annoying manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.