Sunday, January 20, 2019

ECCC march to March 2019

The minute you post the post, you find what you're looking for.
This is what I'm thinking about.
http://johannathemad.tumblr.com/post/83172920414/melissa-aggressively-playing-in-the-distance
As much as I like putting a lot of detail into something, I think this is the casual look I'm going to be happiest with. I do like the "I SEE YOU" interplay with more interpretive, less strictly reproductive costuming.

Let's say I wanted to make a layered hoodie. 
My favorite 
The Volantes make some sweet sweet stuff. Textures and layers and oooh la la.
https://www.volantedesign.us/collections/coats-jackets



The Wraithe hoodie back detail

Knight Hoodie
Duncan Knight hoodie
You get the idea. Overlap and layered pieces to indicate separate, heavier shapes.
The pattern for the helmet has similar layering. 

And making patterns from scratch when you don't have to is silly. And I bought this pattern years ago, so bpffffff

These are some others' drawings, my sleeve sketch.
It's a work in progress.

5 comments:

  1. I'm not in the cosplay universe and am unfamiliar with any of the characters, but completely agree with your "spirit of the character/costume" over the detailed replica! Unless you have a dresser and handler at your side, replica costumes rarely are practical. I look at them, admire the ingenuity and work that goes into them, and am thankful I am not wearing them! lol

    The only other thing that would concern me would be fabric suitability to the venue. Does it tend to be warm or cold? As you can tell, I am a proponent of comfort!

    Will be watching for your final design (with modifications on the fly!), construction details and finished costume. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wearability is the key function. The floor is too warm and crowded, so I really need to consider ventilation (mesh in the joints?) like I would for a coated rain slicker. I'm 60, I get overheated, I don't do well. So snack pockets. Also, the actual floor is industrial carpet over concrete. Sensible footwear.

      I guess it's game on, now! ;)
      And thanks as ever. More comments good comments.

      Delete
  2. OOOOH some of this looks cool [I say 'some' because I can't see some of the pictures lol] Love the 'armour' hoodie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Public service announcement. The Internet is weird and sometimes photos don't show. If you wouldn't mind, mention which ones (third one, one after the big photo of Zzzzzz, all of them ...) aren't appearing. Trying to make this as bomb proof as possible. Also....i echo this blog on wordpress at Ernie K Labs - shhhhhh!

      Delete
  3. The two photos following the blue and white "layered hoodie" (preceding "The Knight" hoodie) are not showing. Just assumed my phone was the culprit.

    Just think of wearing a costume to what is now known as Phoenix Fan Fusion in late May. By the time the venue doors open, it usually is pushing 90F degrees outside. And people are queueing by 6 a.m. I think it originally was the second week in June. Talk about dedicated fans!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.