Sunday, January 6, 2019

Mending Sweaters, Mostly

Winter is sweater mending time.
"Where did you store this? How many holes?"
Not all of the mended are shown in this post
(mostly because most of them were black, and you can't see a damn thing).
Which is good. 
Photos lightened to show embarassing results

The first one is always dodgy. My duplicate stitch is not my strong suit.

 Then I lighten up the task, and it's more fun

There are many wiser folks working this topic.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/sep/22/how-to-mend-moth-holes
Sadly, the iron-on moth patches are in short supply.
I don't have photos of the striped 'black hole' sweater but it looks like.....black holes all over. Not my choice, but I enjoyed the process, and they loved the results.

https://visiblemending.com/
has much mending goodness. And a Russian version of the Speedweve.

There is kind of a cult around the SpeedWeve.
https://tomofholland.com/category/darning/page/1/
https://tomofholland.com/2011/06/23/the-speedweve-lancashires-smallest-loom-directions-for-use/

They are not inexpensive. 
Yoinks.



I almost bought one of these at Value Village, and left it there because I was unclear on what it was. And someone else bought it with screaming glee, I am sure.
That's cool. 
I left a Rocketeer Singer there too.
I cannot own everything.
photo lightened to show actual lace tatting bit sewn onto hole.

The holes are one thing. The snags are another.
I have yet to use the Snag Nab It. It's like a really tiny drill bit that catches the snag so you can pull it through to the wrong side (no hook). 

We're going to use the tiny knit hook tool.
"A Spendid Tool For The True Craftsman"
(spelling error retained) 
I wonder how many things I've bought that hooked me with a similar line.

Snag isolated.


Poke in from wrong side. Grab snag loop.

Pull loop to wrong side. 
I know, you can't really see it. I had a lot of these to fix, so this is a compilation of Snag Greatest Hits In Green.
I've got them in red and brown as well.


Pick up some back of the stitch loops with a sharpish needle that has a largish eye. Whichever one you have, it won't be perfect but it will be good enough.
Pull snag through needle eye with threader.
Work snag into back side of knit stitches with needle
Work it back and forth to make it not stick up.
Resist the urge to cut it. That won't end well.
Repeat on the gazillion other snags on his sweaters.

Last but not least, there's just putting a rivet into a bag to repair a broken strap.
Oh no, make me go into Tandy's and buy stuff!

I figured out that I could buy two sizes of rivets, in two finishes
and one set of rivet caps in a third finish.
Which gives me three options on the finished side.
We swapped the mend for a Tiny Mars in a jar

I am leaving off the unders mending for another post as part of the 
#remakenine2019 both here and on Instagram.
The Green Violet started it! Go check it out!
https://thegreenviolet.com/ 

2 comments:

  1. You have a wide range of talents! I have very limited knowledge of knits--the joy of living in a warm climate about 95% of my life--and even less repairing them.

    I've used a Knit Pick (trademarked name from 1970s)--and still have it. Used it primarily on my mother's cardigans. It's the one that looks like a tiny latch hook. Who knows? I may have an opportunity to use it again some day!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the name: the knit picker! It's pretty cool. Also very tiny. I have use it with a magnifying glass now. And thanks and thanks and thanks for your comment. All the best for a new year

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.