Friday, March 15, 2019

Conventions for old people. the road to ECCC 2019

All you young whippersnappers listen up.
This is how Grandma goes to the Comic Con
The key is comfortable shoes.
Wearability is key. It's still chilly in March, and I'm taking a bus and walking about six blocks to the convention center. And also the return, at the end of the day, where I'll be very very tired. Coat check is a long line, but I will need to wear and check the big green coat. The floor is carpet over concrete. I have an artificial hip so sensible shoes. I pretty much build it all around those issues first.

The flip side of this is that the floor is always too warm. Anything of size needs fans (luckily repurposing the ones from computers and those inflatable yard art works is simple). The Dalek onesie was too warm for ECCC, not big enough for a fan, but I was looking forward to wearing it to the 2018 Anglicon, as the hotel is freakin cold in December.
The Anglicon that was cancelled.

And I'm only going one day to ECCC. You have to pick your day based on absolutely no previous information about who will be there, and which day would be more useful. The four day passes are all gone by a minute into online sales.
So, random choice: I'm going Friday.
A day none of my friends are going to be there, except those I give money to.

Which is sad. But personal life intervenes.

The next issue is: hero or villain? It was a nice change to be Eliza from Shape of Water. For one, it's a cute uniform. Second, it's got a grandma vibe so more small children talked to me. More adults as well.

But I'm.....I'm a Dalek, dammit. Even if no one ever can identify what I am, I know what I am and how to play it.
I made a new one just for Anglicon. I still have it.
The previously mentioned Full Metal Alchemist Alphonse isn't out of my wheelhouse, I've watched all the anime and even the live action ......thing... on Netflix. And it will have endless wearablity afterwards.


But then this sh#t happened. 
Don't bother looking this stuff up if you haven't heard it about it. The world doesn't need to promote hate.

I'm sparing you the pile of troll waste on my email feed from haters after I made ONE COMMENT on a YouTube video.
God dammit, can't we have anything nice anymore?
So I BOUGHT A COSTUME.
https://elhofferdesign.com/pages/our-story
I am very happy with my Hamilton sweater and my Wakandan cardigan, so this preorder was a no brainer.
And while not a thrifty purchase, I don't buy anything but underwear and shoes brand new, so I'm happy to give a good brand my hem money.
I've made some accessories.

Damn my hands are puffy. Supplies came from the stash
And some tights cause cold.
And I bought a 3D printed star and put it on a magnet for the front.
Glue magnets onto star and crossbar 
If you have a nametag at work, this is probably how it works.


Because I have to rep the women.
I am one, after all.

I am sure you all know by now how much I love Clark Gregg in "Agents of Shield". He sums the Captain Marvel situation up very nicely.

https://youtu.be/SJ9SnVJRD0c?t=2488

4 comments:

  1. That looks very cool! I may go to my first con this year, I know, shameful isn't it, 58 and never been to one? The missus has though, so maybe she'll guide me...I think my grandmother of dragons will get another airing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun. It really is, especially if you dress up. And you gotta take the Grandmama of Dragons out to meet its people. Skimpy Dany gets a lot of eyeballs, but BadAss Warrior Dany demands respect. Go claim it.
      Does the missus want to be a dragon?

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.