Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Body Positivity vs Body Types

When you see someone who just looks like they have it all figured out, what do you see?
What are you looking for or looking at?

Keep that in mind, and look at this article.

https://www.threadsmagazine.com/2019/10/08/sew-for-your-shape?
You have read a million versions of it before.

Here are the traditional body outlines with their 'corrective' clothing suggestions
Illustration from Threads Magazine

Here is the text by Susan Lazear, interpreted two ways

Condensed for editorial convenience:
The classic:
When I think back to my college years, I remember a woman
She always looked great.
She had simply mastered the art of camouflage and was adept at creating the appearance of a perfect figure.
Clothing can create the “ideal” figure
Most women want to transform their body silhouette into the “ideal” silhouette. Follow these steps to creating your ideal silhouette.

The positivist: 
When I think back to my college years, I remember a woman.
She always looked great.
Few bodies naturally match the fashionable ideal. These days, a curvier, straighter, or more athletic body type is equally celebrated, and there’s no need to shy away from enhancing these silhouettes

I understand the desire to be more conventionally attractive. I am old enough to know that doesn't work the way we want it to. People bring their own bias with them; you cannot control what other people are looking for/looking at/identifying you as. 
You can only please yourself.
Trust me, this is true.

If this process of wardrobe control works for you, great. If it has left you frustrated, ignore it. Go look for models of people you admire, and identify what it is that you love about them. Do that stuff.

Be the best version of you possible.

Whichever ones you want to be.

I'm not here to judge how you lead your life, but I am here to report that my life got a whole lot better when I stopped trying to be the someone other people thought I should be.  That the better version of me was less snarky and spent more time doing the right thing right now. 
I do not always succeed, but I keep trying.

When in doubt, I consult the writings of the zen master James Gunn on IG:
COMPASSION

Here is a photo of a boss rockin babe.
What is it that makes me think she's a rockin babe?

Well, Lindy West is a great writer.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jul/21/my-wedding-perfect-fat-woman

Am I looking at her dress? Yes. Am I seeing that supremely happy grin on her face?
YOU BET.

and there's the dress in the MOHAI Seattle Style exhibit (just closed)
It's almost as cool by itself, but clothes were meant to be worn.

Be the best babe you can be.

Or, be the best Thor 
https://youtu.be/45a0oiDQP2M
(the relevant bit starts about the 17 minute mark)

Or take a dance class
https://youtu.be/ir0DpmYulJg
This formerly was Paula Nichols School of the Dance, where I learned to tap
--------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.