Sunday, June 21, 2020

Journey Jacket - it's all in the lining.

The original Journey jacket is how I learned about adding pockets to other clothes.
They have updated and enhanced it since then.

Journey Jacket 2

Saf-T-Pockets is all about adding pockets to clothes to keep your hands free.
https://saf-t-pockets.com/

If you read enough of this blog, my theories are clear: pockets are damn handy. If you have your keys in your pocket, you won't get locked out.
Many women have breasts.
If you have a loose fitting or oversized jacket or coat, 
 there's space you can use for storage 
under those breasts.
It's like a shady grove for things inside your clothes.
Oh, the star is the bust point. And since I grew a new tummy, I can't run the pockets all the way down. The opening of the pocket can be at the bust point, if the pocket contents can hang below it.

The lining is full of pockets and hangs from the shoulder seams to keep those pockets from bulking out the outside fabric. 
Kinda like one of those hanging shoe caddies for closets.
photo stolen from Wayfair because I have a cat in my lap and I'm not getting up to take a photo

I've done this on several jackets on this blog; traced off a lining pattern, cut it, added pockets, and then sewn that lining to the inside of a previously unpocketed jacket.
https://erniekdesigns.blogspot.com/2013/03/adding-pockets-to-existing-jackets.html
(I no longer have that jacket, but I have the photos to remember)
The key is keeping the weight hanging from the shoulder seams. so it doesn't unbalance the jacket.

For this jacket, I wanted a facing of the same fabric, not to just run the lining up to the edge (as I understand it, the facing is standard issue with the Journey 2 jacket).
I cut a fashion fabric facing for the front lining.

Facing and lining sewn together.

Auditioning pocket locations.
- I pinned the lining onto me and marked the top and bottom location with safety pins.

And those pockets are going to get zippers.

Sewing the zipper opening 'window' with interfacing around it

Flipped to the inside and pinned: I will topstitch it in place from the right side at this point,
because the pocket doesn't have a back side to it yet.

I pin the back to it and stitch around the edges.

Be careful over the zipper end.

The other pocket is a self welt pocket, where you sew one large piece of pocket fabric to the lining, 
turn that to the inside, and fold it over to make a welt and the body of the pocket.
Or if you like my super sharp Paint diagrams...
Still needs tweaking but it's getting there.

2 comments:

  1. excellent! Love the pocket diagrams...now if I could just remember to add pockets at the construction stage....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good hidden pocket. Thanks for the instructions. Don't know what need tweaking, because your jacket looks great to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.