Sunday, June 14, 2020

Journey Jacket, same reasons, with doubts

I wasn't blogging when I made the first one of these, back in .....2002? 2003? I had bought the pattern at In The Beginning years before, and then just could not find the right fabric.
However, I did find the right reason.

The idea behind this pattern is hands free travel. A jacket with lots of useful pockets so you won't have to carry a bag for your wallet, passport (long before cell phones would have fit in anything smaller than a suitcase).

I was working an onsite ticketing job where I could be carrying a large quantity of money to and from work, in various locations, doing box office cashier work.

And I wanted to be able to look like I wasn't carrying anything, or at the very least, could give up on the cashbox because it didn't have any cash in it.  I sewed myself a multipocket expanding wallet that I could make change out of, for the situations where the cashbox was like wearing a billboard walking down a side street downtown. HEY I AM CARRYING LARGE QUANTITIES OF NONSEQENTIALLY NUMBERED BILLS LARGER THAN ONES.


The wallet itself. Still comes in handy now and then.

I was working for Judy Cites, who at one point in her career worked for Northwest Releasing, a music promoter, and in that capacity found herself carrying several thousand dollars in cash to pay Chuck Berry's fee at the stage door so he'd go onstage.

She carried that money in her go go boots.

The first Journey version was a victim of it's usefulness. It was poly crepe, easy to wear, very handsome, and smelled like all the cigarettes I smoked wearing it.
So it went.
I knew I would make another one eventually.

I bought this tropical weight wool fabric for this version in anticipation of a job interview that did not go the way I hoped.

But I got the second job, in a box office. And you can always use a 'grown up from the waist up' jacket in a box office.
Except now we are closed and will be for some time.
And even though we are in the Covid 19 shutdown, and there are no performances I need to dress adult for, no concerts I need a sweet jacket to go purseless for, I am making it, as an act of faith.
POCKETSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

It needs work. Overexposed to show collar and seam problems. 
I may not have the job.
But I will have the jacket.

2 comments:

  1. interesting hybrid of tuxedo and kimono...kimedo? tuxono?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that fairy, kimedo, isn't that a terribly poisonous lizard ��? I have to say those lapels look quite aggressive, but I love the stories of functionality. Hope you get to reopen soon..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.