Sunday, July 12, 2020

Martha Stewart Free Pants Pattern - Ten Years Later

I missed this one when it came out in 2010, and I'd like to thank Rhonda Buss for bringing it to my attention
http://rhondabuss.blogspot.com/2020/07/fancy-pants-without-hasslewrap-pants.html

These are not fancy pants. They are simple, pocketless, pull on pants. You'll have to add some info to the pattern pieces. But you know, they are free, which means the price is your time.
And being a PDF pattern, some assembly required.



The materials list advises a yard of twill tape for the drawstring.
The large size goes up to 44" at the hip. You're going to need more tape than that (I'd add twenty extra past your waist number to get a good tie. Me, I use elastic for forgiveness)

Clearly, this is just an advisory list.

But now I'm curious and in for a penny......
This is what happens when you're avoiding running another post, and you have a lot of half used paper and a spare cartridge and an afternoon. 
The pages are not numbered. There is no size accuracy square, nor a preview of how the pattern appears on the pages. The pages do print almost (1/8th ") all the way out to the edge (which i usually can't get my printer to do) using Adobe acrobat (which is free and much more functional than the Google pdf things).

So I printed them out and taped them together
Well,  in progress. There are 30 pages, with 5 pages to each 'line'. If they were numbered, this is what they would look like.

 The pattern sits in the middle of the pages, with enough dead space it could have been moved up and saved five pages.

There is about 8.5" dead space on the top and the bottom, and the bottom of the pattern is only 3" onto those last pages. You could just print pages 1 - 25 and be happy enough.

The sizes are limited.
The length of the pattern pieces are 50" from top to bottom unfinished

I did create a new size for me, because there was 1.5" between the two pieces to expand into.
What I would like to commend is the page to page registration system.
You're joining circles!

It works really well and made it go very swiftly, especially with the very narrow margins. I did not trim any of the pages, and it was pretty easy to eyeball whether or not the circles were correct (and the dotted lines really helped)

I remembered to measure the crotch curve. It's one curve for all three sizes, and I know I need mooore. I may drop it a bit. I also added almost 2" to the tops to have an adequate foldover casing for elastic.

And then I realized when I added more to the hip I needed to finish that seam line.
(not shown, got too excited to take a photo),

I needed to gradually grade that seam line all the way down. And then the legs would be out of balance. So I took some off the inseam
 I was trying to draw a long curve for one inseam, and realized I could just cut out the other more-curved inseam and use that cut off part as a template for it.
So I did.
And here they are.
You can see the original side seam lines were not as curvy, and I did make them match.

Writing this, it occurs to me that I'm going to need more depth in the crotch. And I will have to mark the high hip dart in the back. And add some width in the front for pocket bag volumn.
But for an hour of work, I have a decent pull on pant pattern to add to the freebie arsenal. Because I'd be putting this much work into a Big 4 pattern to get it to work.

1 comment:

  1. Love the "SCENE MISSING". Haha. I know exactly the feeling.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.