Friday, November 27, 2020

Headphone Covers: Smaller Things Are Harder

 

While I was writing the earbud post, I realized I never wrote about the headphone covers. I think I put them up on IG, it was a super quick thing that held up a lot better than I expected it would. And they are still rocking, 8 months later. I never knew I needed leopard headphone covers; they always make me smile when I see them. They make other people smile, too. 

But how much stress do you put on the covers of your earphones? The original foam covers were getting shredded around the edges but not falling off. I did use the originals for a pattern, but they were so stretched out, they were little use.

The key is to cut that center hole a little smaller than the thing it's going around. The second is to test your zig zag stitch on a sample before you commit to the actual piece. You will blow a couple of these testing this out. It is just part of the process, forgive yourself now. If your fleece is precious, test it out with some that is not as important to you. 

You will cut out a lot of little circles. This part gets old fast.


The trick is to only pull them on your headphones once. If they aren't quite right, you have to cut another one to try again. There's not enough elastic in fleece to do this twice, unless you want to sew a tiny line of stitches to snug them up onto the headphones.

I mean, you could.  I'm just not that ..... handsewing-y.

I'm really not a fine finishes person. I can knuckle down and do it for friends or customers, but for my own use, not so much. While working on the Haptic Map Quilt is improving my needle threading skills, my stitches are still inconsistent. I keep buying new hand sewing needles thinking that will do the trick.

Uh no. Practice will. Boring dull practice. Which I make me do while watching movies Saturday nights. Yes, Svengoolie monster movie time is handsewing practice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.