Sunday, August 30, 2015

The Refashioners 2015, part one

or  #therefashioners2015

The idea being that a selected group of sewists will remake a man's shirt into something else and post about it on Instagram.

But I do this stuff all the time.

I had just finished this bomber style jacket from a linen shirt. 

I had a whole set of make photos THAT I ERASED after I loaded this to Instagram.


I had a beautiful shirt I was rebuilding for my son, until I ...unpicked the collar from the shirt.

Which only works if you haven't make a buttonhole in one end and you want to recut the collar. Or the collar isn't ridiculously long cause you're working an XXL into a M. 
Which doesn't really work. The armseye on an XXL is really long, and unless you are dropping to a S, the armseye is not going to work in your favor, the front will be too narrow. Unless you take the front off the collar stand and the yoke and move it up.

Which gives you this result.

I really hope my son isn't looking at this. He's going to have a fit that this is headed towards Wadderville.

It would work if you could keep the collar/placket together, and the shoulder/armseye in one piece.

If you did this.


I'm 16" across upper bust, shoulders


I cut a generous overlap (1 3/4") to allow for the usual mistakes

This is the most accurate color representation of the set. Two similar toned striped shirts.

Notched at the top to match up the seam. I sewed the vertical seams first


To get the horizontal seam  to line up, I pinned the end of the vertical seam on the outside

Then I flipped inside and started pinning the horizontal seam

 I gathered the horizontal seam. A little Alder, a little One Hour Dress

I did not machine sew to the corners, I can finish that with topstitching





Now both sides are gathered. 
Cuffs still need thinking, and it's almost dress length which is too long for what it needs to do. And it needs interior seam finishes. And ironing.

It does NOT need buttonholes or buttons, though. WIN!

And I have one other over the top shirt idea and not quite enough time. 

This can be done. I have the technology. And the shirts.


3 comments:

  1. I think you nailed the refashioners concept with that jacket! Unfortunately I live with an obsessive/compulsive thrower-outer (opposite of hoarder) so the rats outside of the building are doing the refashioning of old shirts. (My son and I did find a 30s Chinese Deco rug out in the alley once, though...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind. I still live in a house, with compulsive thrift shoppers, so we have ....uh....lots of semi useful stuff.

      The rug, was it 'bring in-able'?

      Delete
  2. This is super clever! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.