Friday, May 18, 2018

McCalls Vintage 7155 You can go home again




I am so sorry I don't have the original I used to own. I don't even have a photo of me in it.

One of the many times I have bought a vintage dress that was homemade, and then fallen on the pattern like a viper. Not exactly out of character for me, either.

This was the bombity bomb. The 'toss it on and run to work' dress. The "hey, cute vintage dress!" at I forget how many jobs.

Mine was dark brown corded over black in a very narrow textured stripe. Altered to put the zipper in the back seam (splitting the collar was fun!) Wore like iron. Wore it out. Busted out the elbows. Twenty plus years on an old homemade dress.

So I miss it. I need a new one. Had to trace and size up this size 10 (my hip is 44 going on more). Also my head is larger.
Once again, Roisin (aka That Dolly Clackett human) is to blame for my reckless purchase of the latest in the Alexander Henry Sewing series; Sewing Woes. AKA Sewing Sorrows.

There are two scales of this, and I bought them by accident. Oh, no, Hart's you cannot have them back. Just be warned and call if you're confused and it matters.


Who cannot identify with this?


Prewash and never worry....
Survived the drier!

Also measure twice, cut once.
My big butt needs more in the hip. Maybe I want to put that center seam back in.....

Ooh. That's going to be 22". My head is 23", if I take my glasses off when I get dressed. Sometimes I forget.

I have Paint. Let's play a game...
There's the print. Let's make a sketchy overlay.

Which one do I like better? 
We're not even discussing 'is this the right dress for this print'? Maybe not. 
Previous editions have ignored the trial and worked fine:
It could use a belt. It's another vintage McCalls pattern from the 50s.

I know, I do own an iron, but just imagine this without wrinkles.
I really slammed this out a couple of summers ago, during a heat wave; it's all cramming pieces onto fabric to get the punchline about 'home sewing is easy' front and center, while avoiding the selvage and finishing it with bias tape. 

Jim is a Rat Patch pocket really does iron out flat.

It wears well, and the overall grid design doesn't  work against the dress silhouette. It's just a big print with a 20" vertical repeat. 
And it's a gas to wear.

And hey, Gap, not cool
https://youtu.be/2E53d5-EvHc


Go see the original
https://vimeo.com/13079214
https://youtu.be/xF5MhpvKzuw


4 comments:

  1. That's great! So you have 2 dresses, going on 3 of the comic Henry fabric? I know when I saw the Home Sewing is Easy one I just had to have it and search for it endlessly until I found it for a decent price. Now I see I must have Sewing Woes. Yes indeed. You look downright lovely in yours. Thanks for passing on the news to those addicted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have three (well, almost three). Sewing Woes is so point, I may have trouble not reading myself and laughing really really hard. Or having people call out something and pointing and laughing at me. Which ....would be okay.
      Roisin is all to blame. It's all her fault (http://dollyclackett.blogspot.com/)

      Delete
  2. These are wonderful!! ... and I loved reading your description/ process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Now I need to actually sew it.(yoinks)(prom dress post coming soon)

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.