Monday, November 18, 2019

Yes, I made a corduroy dress. Fight me.

Pleased to say that I saw this 1991 pattern online, and remembered I HAD one in the stash already (from Value Village (stifles sniffles))
I even knew where it was.


The sleeveless version looks a lot like the Sewing Workshop Veranda dress


Or vestments


This is a table runner. You don't fool me one bit.
This is for vestments.

Okay, so this dress probably isn't built for corduroy. In fact, I know it's not. All of the suggested fabrics have the word "lightweight" before them.
But when have I ever let that sort of nagging detail stop me?
Should I?
Probably
I did not take a lot of process photos, as it blew by. It has few parts, drafted precisely and goes together quickly.
Remember when pattern pieces always went together?

Because the cut on sleeves and the style made everything too big (if you make this, read those finished measurements: there's about 11 inches of ease in the bustline between the size and the finished garment), I unpicked the seams (seams I had prematurely top stitched, as I tend to do) and took them in about 5/8", which makes it wide enough but not as ginormous as above.
My tum is getting all the glamour shots this week (similar exposure on Turner dress, another post shortly)
  

Unpick

Re-sew

Corduroy stands up mostly on its own (attaching the bodice to the skirt)
Snap rehearsal. I'm not crazy about any of them, but buttonholes in the corduroy Ophelias sorta broke my buttonhole will, so we are snap snap snappy (or pop pop poppers)
Yellow and greenblue....or greenblue and yellow? Decisions. This is its real color. I overdyed a camel corduroy to warm it up, and it's nice and caramel in person.

I pondered a bias trim in the seams. I mean, I was taking them apart....and I still have bits of the reversible polka dot shirting from District Fabrics. I can milk yardage until it cries, baby!

But I went rick rack. Which is brown, but refuses to color correct from purple (which is its brother color). Also vintage rick rack, preshrunk just in case.

It's a bit nicer in person

It is a wide load of a dress though; more like a jacket as shown on the envelope. The original has ties to take in the excess width (oh man, I still need to deal with the Ophelia flappy side ties). I honestly don't think it needs any more snaps for functional wear (although it may get some more purely for decor) as it is a pullover, not a step in.

It will need a little more revision before I wear it for photos.
And if it doesn't behave, it will turn into a jumper.
Or what others call a pinafore.

Just like Lyra. 

1 comment:

  1. awww, I like it. And I just luv corduroy. I have the same pattern and made the little jacket which turned out huge and I've never worn it. Do let us see you in it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.