Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Plague Doctor, Health Screener Edition 2020


https://www.etsy.com/listing/236325647/plague-doctor-mask-pattern-pdf-download

Cartoonist/illustrator Erica Henderson prompted this project, after her Toucan Sam Plague Doctor, 

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_8DBpgh16Q/

I figured I could make a fabric one for my job as a health screener.

I sewed the paper pattern together to test it



It just seems like the right costume at the right time at the right job.

This style has the added ridge down the nose which gives it more structure. I had considered adding a wire in that ridge if necessary, but on trying it on I realized it wasn't necessary.  The proportion of the width of the face portion vs the length of the nose, plus keeping this in as light a fabric as possible (I used muslin) keeps it from being too heavy. 

I took off the forehead piece and eyepieces, and contoured the upper seam to fit my face with my glasses on. The glasses definitely do the work here, I didn't need to duplicate 'eye coverings'.




Adding a second layer (one of the light poly cotton pieces from my regular face mask) makes it feel more like a real mask and reinforces the structure around the face. And adding the straps to hold it in place keeps the shape open and stabilizes it.


And it would be nicer if I had planned on adding it when I was sewing this together.


I could make it washable and finish it more nicely, but I'm hoping not to get a lot of use out of this one.

Getting a Snuffalupagus vibe here

This took less than an hour. Which shows, and you'll be more careful.

I modeled it with various hats. It needs the broadbrimmed original.
Frankly, I like it better out of paper. You could make this out of oaktag or craft foam and do fine.

The only sad thing is that the day before Halloween is going to be a very quiet day at work with hardly anyone to see the costume. And after polling the neighbors, we're not going to get any trick or treaters. This is my favorite holiday, I can't deny how sad this makes me.

To cheer myself up, I'm going to plan a sewing project for an outdoor decoration that is appropriate for every holiday. I mean, these things are SEWN.



https://www.homedepot.com/p/Warner-9-5-ft-Pre-Lit-Beetlejuice-Sandworm-Animated-Airblown-Inflatable-224336/308475547

One last minute costume suggestion:


https://wintercroft.com/

You can cut them out of paper and decorate them and wear them and hang them on the wall.

They make splendid things.



1 comment:

  1. Only you! What a great idea, though I'm sad for you that you'll be missing out on the usual festivities.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.