Friday, October 23, 2020

The Inevitable Halloween Costume Post 2020 edition

Umbrella Academy, photo Netflix

Not everyone in the Umbrella Academy wears a regatta blazer.
Simplicity 9094, an Academic lewk


https://www.threadsmagazine.com/2020/10/01/pattern-roundup-halloween-2020?

I really appreciate how they have mentioned some current pop culture references; Umbrella Academy is not that well known, and Ratched (also mentioned, it's the Ryan Murphy prequel story with Sarah Paulson) may have slid past some folks' radar.

https://www.simplicity.com/simplicity-storefront-catalog/patterns/brands/simplicity-sewing-pattern-s9094-misses-mens--teens-cosplay/

Number Six wears a regatta jacket too.

https://static.onecms.io/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2017/09/tcdpris_ec025-2000.jpg

Because there really aren't a lot of new and weird costume patterns out this year (and if I missed them, please comment), I'm going to share the purchased kind.

https://www.amazon.com/ZMJ-Hellboy-Right-Halloween-Costume/dp/B07PQLT9BW/

Right Hand of Doom, screen accurate
I am never going to finish the Left Hand of Doom

What I love are the 'NonLicensed But You Know What They Are' selections.

Smiffy Costumes on Amazon (search 'Smiffy women costumes' for best entry selection)
has solved for Mamma Mia! costumes...

Microphone not included


Remember the time in Joann's I met the kids who were going to go trick or treating as the twins from the Shining? I hope they are doing great.
They could get their mom to make them a couple of these sweaters

Hat included

https://www.cosdaddy.com/Cosdaddy-Gone-with-the-Wind-Scarlett-O-Hara-Cosplay-Green-Dress-Costume.html
This website has a lot of costumes on it. Animal Crossing, too.

It's hard to gin up a lot of enthusiasm for costuming this pandemic year. I didn't have a local con to finish the latest Dalek costume for, so the new hat/helmet is frozen in time. I had promised myself to keep working on it, doing a very gradual layering up of paint over a week or two, for the time when I would need it, but you know how life intervenes?  I'm still sketching that Elric Bro hoodie as well.



for more of this absurd goodness:
https://www.thedad.com/knockoff-halloween-costumes-are-so-funny-its-spooky/
It's links to Twitter responses to a call for weirdest knock off costumes, so everyone who took a photo gets their own linky credit.

And  speaking  of  Spirit  Halloween .....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/12/style/spirit-halloween-costume-store-undead-forever.html
 is an ode to the pop up Halloween store
which I would appreciate if they hadn't opened right around the corner (literally the other side of the same building) from Display and Costume, my favorite holiday decoration store. A store that was going to be closing this year, instead saved by a last minute lease reprieve.
And which closed storefront did Spirit open in?
Pacific Fabrics Northgate.
(weeps openly)

I have to go finish my homework.

2 comments:

  1. Fun!
    We don't go so much for the big Halloween dressing up thing over here, but I have just registered for an online cinema club hosted by Lesflicks, and they are encouraging attendees to dress up. I'm planning to adapt [very simply] an existing costume, but will share the deets after the big night.
    For cheap makes, I can highly recommend Wintercroft MAsks, which you can make out of any suitable weight cardstock, and embellish to your heart's content. They have a superb range of skulls and fantasy creatures...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good gosh, I left out Wintercroft! There will be a midweek post on making a Plague Doctor mask from a online purchased pdf, so I will add the link in that.
      Thanks sweetie!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! I love your comments, I love your ideas, I love your recipes, but if you post links to advertising, I will delete your comment.